Exedy Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2012, 01:20 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exedy Clutch

Hi guys!

I'm due for a new clutch in my 2003 WRX and was thinking of upgrading it slightly to an Exedy Stage 1 organic. I was just hoping for some feedback on what this clutch is like and if it's the right one to go for over standard?

The car is running at 280bhp and 291 LbFt. Ideally I'd like the clutch to feel similar to standard, without juddering in traffic or being too heavy but able to take a bit more wear than the standard.

Thanks!
Old 16 April 2012, 04:21 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Hi, I asked this question a few days ago.
the replies i got said that the Exedy pink box was the one to get, if you have a bit more to spend then go for the AP Racing version. The AP was generally redarded as the best but if you arent looking to spaend that much then the Exedy was a very close second.

I quoted 300Bhp and 300ftlb as my goal for the clutch to cope with.

Clutch feel was almost as standard (aparently) with the Exedy and just a little stiffer with the AP.

Hope that helps. PS mine is a bugeye - they also offer an anti judder version.
Old 16 April 2012, 05:12 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info wrxyz! So it looks like the Exedy organic 230mm pink box kit with anti judder is the one to go for then? I do have a budget so will pass on the AP unless it was a lot better. Have you upgraded your clutch yet?
Old 18 April 2012, 08:52 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

nope, not yet. Its still working so i will leave it for now... but thats the one to go for it seems.
need to get my brake pads done this w/e.

let me know how you get on bud!!
Old 20 April 2012, 07:03 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRX101
Thanks for the info wrxyz! So it looks like the Exedy organic 230mm pink box kit with anti judder is the one to go for then? I do have a budget so will pass on the AP unless it was a lot better. Have you upgraded your clutch yet?
Definitely. I fitted the pink Exedy anti-judder and it has been faultless. Fitted 6 months ago and done about 2000 miles. Got the lightened flywheel at the same time from Bob at Aztec Performance - good price and delivery. Pedal feel is identical to OE, perhaps a little lighter, but I think this will vary from car to car. Shame I'm going 6 speed next month! But the gearbox and clutch won't cope with the planned 440.
Old 24 April 2012, 05:15 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
Definitely. I fitted the pink Exedy anti-judder and it has been faultless. Fitted 6 months ago and done about 2000 miles. Got the lightened flywheel at the same time from Bob at Aztec Performance - good price and delivery. Pedal feel is identical to OE, perhaps a little lighter, but I think this will vary from car to car. Shame I'm going 6 speed next month! But the gearbox and clutch won't cope with the planned 440.
Thanks for that, good to know!
I've been wondering about whether to change the flywheel at the same time. I guess it depends on its condition.
Excuse my ignorance but I have a few questions on flywheels if you don't mind.
Do you get a noticeable benefit from having a lightened flywheel over a standard one?
Forged or aluminium?
Are there any knock on consequences of changing the flywheel?
I've heard people say the bite point of the clutch changes and is easier to stall when you change to a lightened flywheel?

Thanks!

Last edited by WRX101; 24 April 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 24 April 2012, 08:18 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine was quicker to gain speed and there was a sense of reduced initial inertia. Definitely easier to stall, but not to the extent that it affected driveability - you just need to drive it more carefully and apply more forthought. I fitted the one from the Aztec website, not sure if it was alloy/forged etc.

I think the bite point is laible to change on any clutch work, mine did, slightly, but not in a bad way. I went for the flywheel at the same time as it seemed like a good mod that could be done with minimal labour costs as th clutch was coming out anyways. In my opinion it did make the car respond better under accelleration and well worth replacing a worn/less performance oriented part.

Hope this helps.
Old 25 April 2012, 12:24 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

The engine was quicker to gain speed and there was a sense of reduced initial inertia. Definitely easier to stall, but not to the extent that it affected driveability - you just need to drive it more carefully and apply more forthought. I fitted the one from the Aztec website, not sure if it was alloy/forged etc.

I think the bite point is laible to change on any clutch work, mine did, slightly, but not in a bad way. I went for the flywheel at the same time as it seemed like a good mod that could be done with minimal labour costs as th clutch was coming out anyways. In my opinion it did make the car respond better under accelleration and well worth replacing a worn/less performance oriented part.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that info fella I to will be changing the clustch in a few weeks time and found the above very usefull.
Old 26 April 2012, 05:37 PM
WRX101
Scooby Regular

Hope this helps.
Thank you for explaining that sounds like it's worth doing then.
Good luck with the 6 speed and 400+bhp
Cheers