Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

03-04 V8 gearbox's

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2012, 12:34 AM
nz_mungus
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03-04 V8 gearbox's

Hi All, new to this forum, but have had many giggles and found it a huge help in maintaining my wrx's over the years.
I am in New Zealnad the "land of the long white cloud" also known as Aotearoa.
As much as people like to help her some things people just either can't or won't as it's their livelihood.
Hey have no problem with that, just leave's me with the same unanswered questions. I am a novice DIY mechanic, but so far it's saved me a lot of cash. It's just the techincal internal things that have my untrained mind baffled.

I have a 2003 WRX v8, It runs a TY754VB4AA gearbox ( currently sounds like a straight cut box) whine's like a B****. I have an inkling the centre diff is on its way out, or at least the bearings.
I have aquired a later year (04) TY754VN6AA.
My current box runs a 4.444 rear diff and I am lead to believe that the vehicle the 04 box was out of runs a 3.9.

Am I able to runs this box in my car- I think not as the ratios are different. Or is as simple as changing the rear diff to a 3.9?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers Mungus
Old 23 February 2012, 12:48 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nz_mungus
Hi All, new to this forum, but have had many giggles and found it a huge help in maintaining my wrx's over the years.
I am in New Zealnad the "land of the long white cloud" also known as Aotearoa.
As much as people like to help her some things people just either can't or won't as it's their livelihood.
Hey have no problem with that, just leave's me with the same unanswered questions. I am a novice DIY mechanic, but so far it's saved me a lot of cash. It's just the techincal internal things that have my untrained mind baffled.

I have a 2003 WRX v8, It runs a TY754VB4AA gearbox ( currently sounds like a straight cut box) whine's like a B****. I have an inkling the centre diff is on its way out, or at least the bearings.
I have aquired a later year (04) TY754VN6AA.
My current box runs a 4.444 rear diff and I am lead to believe that the vehicle the 04 box was out of runs a 3.9.

Am I able to runs this box in my car- I think not as the ratios are different. Or is as simple as changing the rear diff to a 3.9?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers Mungus
As far as I know the N part is wide ratio, and the B part is close ratio. So therefore they cannot be swapped, without changing the matching diff with it.

Its not too hard to change the diff, easier than the gearbox. But my advise would be to get the rear diff from the car you bought the box, as they tend to like to stay together.
Old 23 February 2012, 12:55 AM
nz_mungus
Scooby Newbie

sweet, Thanks for the info much appreciated. I'll track it down see if it's available.