Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Front guard airbox restrictor - removal?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2002, 07:17 AM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey everybody,

I have read various things regarding some sort of resonator (?) in the front bumper restricting airflow to the standard air box?

I have an ITG filter on the way... just wondering if this is something I can remove to get a bit more air in there?

Cheers

J
Old 28 April 2002, 10:55 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Thumbs up

certainly can, some people swear by removing it (me ) some don't

if you take off the inner wing plastic guard you'll see it
Old 28 April 2002, 10:40 PM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

Question

This inner wing plastic guard, how exactly do I get to it? I'm assuming from inside the wheel arch... this is the only piece of plastic I can find throughout the entire bumper area!

Cheers

J
Old 28 April 2002, 11:55 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Smile

taking the wheel off will make it alot easier, there should be quite a few bolts/screws holding the inner wing plastic in place

the resonator looks like a white box with two black tubes coming out of it (if i can remember rightly)
Old 29 April 2002, 08:28 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi J

There is a resonator in the driver's side wing. These instructions refer to the old shape car BTW.

Remove the wheel and then carefully take out the plastic retaining bolts for the inner wing lining. It shoudn't be necessary to remove the whole thing, just enough to get the resonator out.

As far as I can remember, there are two bolts holding it in place - one at the top - which is fairly easy and one at the bottom which can be a little more difficult to remove. You'll need a ratchet set to make life a little easier.

Once you've removed the bolts, you should be able to pull out the resonator - it just pushes into the air flow pipe which goes into the air filter.

Easy! As had already been said, the benefits of doing this are in theory you should increase the air flow and get a lot more induction noise. Some people have mentioned water ingress as a potential problem (although I ran my old MY00 for nearly a year without a problem).

As an optional extra, you might want to try adding a piece of flexible aluminium hosing - bend it into a rough 's' shape and put this in the wing, in place of the resonator - you can attach it to the top resonator mounting with a couple of plastic ties. Position the tube to be just below the level of the front spoiler and this will then direct air flow directly up onto the air filter.

This is a fairlt minor job, but as ever, if you aren't sure, check with a friendly garage / mechanic.

Cheers
Chris
Old 29 April 2002, 10:26 PM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

FANTASTIC! Thank you guys... appreciate the help. Will try it this weekend.

J