Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wierd Auto Problem

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2011, 07:54 AM
jr758774c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Auto Problem

I have recently bought a Forester T/tb Auto for use over the winter etc... But it has the strangest issue I've ever seen.
Basically, its lost all drive in the gears, so I checked the dipstick and its full to the brim (I dont mean the lever marker) I mean full to the brim of the filler pipe. So I dropped the drain plug and a little fluid came out but the filler pipe is still full.
I've put a new Trans filter on, and run it all through the gears, but the oil doesn't go down and reach the sump of the transmission!
I've tried, with the use of a length of pipe, blowing down the filler pipe to force the fluids down into the sump, but it just p*sses out the top of the gearbox from some breather pipe.
There also doesn't seem to be a gearbox cooler on this car either - Most autos either have the fluids go into the Rad where there is a integral cooler, or a serperate one, but this just has a short bypass pipe going from the flow to the return with no cooler. One of the pipes you can blow through fine and the pressure comes out the sump of the transmission, the other seems to be blocked as I can't blow down it!

I bought it with the suspicion it'll need a replacement gearbox, but before I lay out the cash for that, does anyone have any Ideas as to why the fluid is not draining down into the sump?

Cheers in advance

Mark