The Great Tek Debate

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 04:47 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

Have looked on ecutek's web-site and seen no mention of Tek 1,2,or 3.Do i assume Tek1 is the straight chip replacement for MY00 cars,Tek2 is the more comprehensive remap for 99/00 cars and Tek3 is the same but individually set up for your car by PE?

TIA

Pete (I think it's a tek2 i'm saving for or is it a tek3) Stone
Old 19 April 2002, 05:40 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Er, they are on there somewhere!
Yup, you've got it about right anyway. There was some confision 'cos initially the Tek2 was by PE-on-rollers only for 'quality control' - now the quality is known as fine so the roller work is not needed.
Tek3 isn't 'required' unless you'v got some really wierd stuff running
Old 21 April 2002, 02:11 PM
enrique
Scooby Regular

Red face

It´s possible fit the Tek2 without rolling road? I didn´t knew this. I want fit the ecutek1 the next week but if it´s possible I´ll fit the tek2, so tell me asap,please.
Old 21 April 2002, 03:14 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Yep - my understanding is that tek2 is now available mail order - just as with the tek1.

Richard.
Old 22 April 2002, 09:46 AM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Question

Does anyone know if the Tek2 package fitted by PE which includes before and after dyno-runs is set up for your particular car ,ie any modifications made or is it just straight dyno run ,plug in new chip and new dyno run with hopefully higher graph!Hope this makes sense!

Pete Stone
Old 22 April 2002, 10:24 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Tek2 is now - I think - the re-mapped ECU & that's it. No graphs, no nuffink. The before/after dyno run with specific fiddles for your car is the Tek3, although I know they were thinking of having different maps for different specs if it made that much of a difference (so if you have an induction kit you get a pre-set ECU that runs a bit richer or whatever). I don't know if that was carried through or not though - I think all are now richer at low rpm as non-induction cars were also found to be lean down there as well.
Old 22 April 2002, 12:13 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Question

As i understand it the price for the Tek2 chip is £500 mail-order(no vat).To have it fitted at PE it is £625 + vat(£734.38).Are you saying i would be paying them over £200 just to plug the chip in?

Pete S
Old 22 April 2002, 12:20 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone know what this Tek upgrade does for your emissions?

I'm running (like most) full decat, come MOT time a dual cat centre can be bolted in and it passes. ( I hope )

What happens if your remapped chip is out of limits for emmissions though and it fails? Where'd you go then?

Old 22 April 2002, 03:58 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

>Anyone know what this Tek upgrade does for your emissions?
>
During an emissions test, the car runs on closed loop lambda control. This means that the fuelling adjusts to get the ideal air/fuel ratio. My car passed an MOT emissions check about 3 weeks ago with a custom map that produces 305 BHP & 312 LBFT of torque.
More critical to passing your emissions check is a decent working CAT and lambda sensor. I've had the PE sports cat on mine for a year now.

Incidentally, knackered MAF sensors tend to make the car idle very rich. If your car fails an emissions test, it may be worth getting the MAF checked. The ECU can only adjust the fuelling so much - on 99/00MY, if it takes out 20% and still cannot get a decent mixture, it gives up and goes open loop, since it assumes there's something wrong with the lambda sensor.

>As i understand it the price for the Tek2 chip is £500 mail-order
>(no vat).To have it fitted at PE it is £625 + vat(£734.38).Are >you saying i would be paying them over £200 just to plug the chip
>in?
>
PE have to buy the ECU from Ecutek. The 625+VAT from PE includes before and after dyno runs, which are normally 45+VAT each. You have to pay VAT because PE are VAT registered ! Price includes fitting too. You could always buy and maintain your own four wheel drive Maha rolling road. They're only about £80,000 ! You're free to choose. You also have a money back guarantee, if you aren't happy with the difference the ECU makes - you can't lose.

Steve
Old 22 April 2002, 04:18 PM
enrique
Scooby Regular

Steve, then it´s possible the Tek2 without rolling road for 500 ukp, and direct from you? I want buy now if this it´s possible.

MY99, Magnex twin downpipe, Magnex back box
Old 22 April 2002, 04:28 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

You bet - email sales@ecutek.com.
4 in stock currently.
Same day dispatch from stock.
Delivery included.

Cheers

Steve
Old 22 April 2002, 04:41 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Steve

I was just confirming that the £625+vat deal did include before and after dynos as this wasn't clear from Nom's post.
Wasn't suggesting it was a simple job or anything and realise you are paying for all the research and development.I'm definitely
considering getting the Tek2 package from PE.

Pete S
Old 22 April 2002, 05:21 PM
enrique
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve I have mailed you asking for this question but I don´t get a solution. I mail you again at this moment.

regards,
Old 22 April 2002, 06:30 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Stephen,

If you buy and fit the Tek2 at PE how much would it cost to adjust the map after fitting new parts such as a FMIC or an Equal length manifold??

Jake.

[Edited by Jake - 4/22/2002 6:31:32 PM]
Old 22 April 2002, 06:56 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Ooo yeah, good question there Been wondering myself...
Old 22 April 2002, 08:04 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that info..

I've got mine in at PE for a road session on the 4th, gonna see what its putting out with the dawes at the mo' then decide from there if (or when ) the Tek upgrade goes on

Cheers!
Old 22 April 2002, 08:59 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Just remember that there's a lot more to the Tek thing than just the numbers!
Smoooooooooo
Old 22 April 2002, 10:15 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

EcuTek sell the Tek1 and Tek2 standard maps. If you want custom mapping, you go to a tuner, such as PE who will do custom mapping. PE charge 125+VAT per hour for dyno time, and this is what you would pay.

If you go to PE, they give you the opportunity to drive the car with the new ECU before you pay, so you can decide whether you are satisfied or not. Price and spec. for the Tek1 or Tek2 is as is, you don't get custom mapping for that price. If you want to go further, you pay for your mapping. If you only wanted a rev limit change, you'd probably pay for 30 mins of tuning time. If you had replaced the turbo and put on a manifold too, you'd be looking at 2 or 3 hours I would have thought.

Steve
Old 22 April 2002, 10:22 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Enrique,

I have seen no mail from you. To where did you send it ? If to EcuTek, you'll get a reply within office hours tomorrow.

Peter,

Hopefully I've made things a bit clearer.

Cheers

Steve
Old 22 April 2002, 11:26 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Stephen,
Does the £500 cost of the 'Tek2 include the return of my existing ECU, as per the 'Tek1 deal? If so do I get a further discount for a second ECU as I have both an AE801 and an 802?

Old 22 April 2002, 11:42 PM
enrique
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ok Steve. Thing are clearer.I can fit the tek1 for a little performance increase, or tek2 for a better performance, and only if I want a tune of the ecu with my car I should go to PE. I want then a tek2 because I believe that if I were for tek1 I would be very happy but the next week I would be ordering the tek2.
Old 22 April 2002, 11:51 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Enrique,

Yes, I agree. (Well, I would though wouldn't I !?!). The Tek1 is recommended only as an upgrade from an ae802 ecu, which has a lower performance map to the previous other two oem versions. It doesn't provide dramatic improvements to the others. The Tek2 is a decent improvement over all standard ECUs.

Cheers

Steve
Old 22 April 2002, 11:59 PM
enrique
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ok. I have ordered today the tek2 to sales@ecutek.com. Please check the mail.
Old 23 April 2002, 10:03 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

My TEK2 arrived today and will be fitting it at luchtime. Will post my view.

Power run tomorrow at Powerstation so I shall post a before and after graph.

Neil.
Old 23 April 2002, 11:01 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Nezz,

If you post before and after, be sure that both runs have been done on the same day. The ambient temperature has gone up about 10 degrees in the last week. This has made 13BHP difference to my car, all else remaining equal. It takes about 2 mins to fit once the carpet is up, so why not swap it on the rollers - ignition off first !

Cheers

Steve

[Edited by StephenDone - 4/23/2002 11:03:05 AM]
Old 23 April 2002, 12:21 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

After an immediate change, though, the boost never seems to be up as high as it eventually is - learning curve for the CPU? So the torque would be off, wouldn't it?
Only this is only on de-cat cars, I think?
Steve, help?
Old 23 April 2002, 01:22 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Hi steve,

Yea I was going to do both 2moro just to see what my car had before. I am guessing at about 240BHP before and 275/280BHP after??. MY00 full scoobysport decat with downpipe and ITG air filter.

Just put the TEK2 in and went for a quick 5min drive.

Verdict - Very Very smooth. Doesn't feel very fast until you see the speedo needle shooting up in a way that its never done before.
To be honest I like cars that through you back in the seat but I am sure I will get used to it, plus the ECU will learn my driving style in time. I am taking it to castle combe track day on may 3rd so shall see what is like there too.
(note: this was only a 5min drive couldn't really use the full potential yet.)
Will be interesting to see what power it pulls tomorrow.

Good work steve. What do you reccomend I do next? Looking for 300+ BHP in time.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 23 April 2002, 01:33 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

I would expect 260-270 depending on the temperature. Powerstation reads lower than PE. Look at the difference between runs rather than absolute power.

For 300 BHP: If you have full exhaust already, next mods for me were cool air intake (APS very good) and manifold. Or you could go the other route of FMIC and turbo. Or both :-) Or move to Alaska.

Let us know how you do.

Steve
Old 23 April 2002, 01:36 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Nom,

Most rolling road tuners will run the car 3 times to ensure that results are consistent and that everything is warmed up. We have seen the power figures increase slowly, though the temperature the car gets to after 3 runs on the RR would probably offset this.

If you wanted a good figure from the Tek2, dyno that first, then swap in the old ECU.

Steve
Old 23 April 2002, 02:57 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

That's a good idea with the dyno run, to do the Tek2 first if it's already in.
I found that it took about 300 miles before the boost was up to where it should be - all I got (all? ) until then was the smoothness, the extra power, the needle always being suspiciously far round the speedo...

Quick Reply: The Great Tek Debate