Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What's all this tosh about 6 speed boxes being crap with the ratios...???

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2011, 09:05 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What's all this tosh about 6 speed boxes being crap with the ratios...???

So - today (thanks to some multicolour wheels loaned to me by dunx!) I was able to go out and really drive my 06 WRX with 6 speed box recently installed by ScoobySpares.

Having never driven a 6 speed Subaru before (and having done 2 years in my 5 speed car til today) I didn't know what to expect. I knew the gearing would be closer and I'd be changing gear a little more - but that was about my expectation set.

So dunx and I set off, warm the car up down a nice stretch of national speedlimit til the oil got to just under 90, I turned off and worked the gears. I couldn't believe how quickly my 360/400 WRX pulled through each gear. In the space of seconds I'd gone from 2000RPM in 2nd to 6000RPM in 4th without blinking. The turbo appeared to spool quicker, throttle more responsive, car more balance, dropped it into third for a left hander and opened it up, 4th, 5th and then eased off...

Now my WX 5 speed was long geared. 3rd would see me into high figures on the track (90's) and then 4th into the 120's. I never hit top speed in 5th due to rear diff whining and me losing confidence in the drivetrain.

But today, I confidently worked each gear. Sure, I had to work harder to get more from the car between the gears but it, as a drivers setup, was more satisfying. Let's face it, we don't tour round corners do we?! No - we want to be at optimum RPM for balance and braking power all the time.

I was pleased to find that cruising at 70mph on the motorway was 400-500RPM lower in top gear than my WRX box, so I'm sure that'll help out on the longer runs if I can keep off boost....!

Differences I've noticed: shorter ratio means more jolting! Car seems more rapid in acceleration, heel-toe braking is easier due to shorter gearing, easier to find sweet spot in each gear for fast roundabouts / twisties where in the WRX box was always a little too high up one gear or too low in another.

6 speed is much smoother, more refined. The car seems to run smoother with it and doesn't seem as stressed...!!

For those of you running or approaching 350 on the WRX box, get ready for shelling out some cash for a 6 speed, but you'll have an upgraded smile at the end of it

Lee
Old 08 March 2011, 10:02 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Well from the short time I was in the car...

It seemed that the torquey 2.5 was constantly "on the boil". Thus the car felt quick.

But I felt the lower rev limit forced more driver input than (my) higher revving 2.0 STI.

dunx

P.S. Just a thought. And any driver worth his salt isn't going to bitch about changing gears...
Old 08 March 2011, 10:24 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only complaints about the 6-speed are the notchy change from 4th to 5th (on mine at least) and the ratio gap between 4th and 5th

JohnD
Old 08 March 2011, 10:04 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Well from the short time I was in the car...

It seemed that the torquey 2.5 was constantly "on the boil". Thus the car felt quick.

But I felt the lower rev limit forced more driver input than (my) higher revving 2.0 STI.

dunx

P.S. Just a thought. And any driver worth his salt isn't going to bitch about changing gears...
Having been warned about staying away from the limiter, I do find myself shifting up at about 4500 - 5000RPM now Dunx in fear of blowing anything. Clutch has been bed in now, and feels smoother

Just need to stop it cutting out on me now when I come to a rolling stop! But it's in at AET's as we speak getting mapped for the 6 speed and neutral positioning switch, little more power and torque as the box can take it and having a boost controller installed
Old 08 March 2011, 10:04 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
My only complaints about the 6-speed are the notchy change from 4th to 5th (on mine at least) and the ratio gap between 4th and 5th

JohnD
I've also noticed the 4th to 5th 'grabbing' sensation as it engages when being driven hard. No complaints about the 4th to 5th ratio though
Old 11 March 2011, 02:12 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Well I went down to AET-Turbos today and saw this car make over 300 whp...
A boost leak seems to be the reason for the symptoms I witness'd earlier...

Not a bad result !

dunx

P.S. Early six speed boxes had some synchro issues... mine on top gear.

Last edited by dunx; 11 March 2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12 March 2011, 09:47 PM
leeroywrx
Scooby Regular

wheres the best place to buy a 6 speed dunx?
Old 12 March 2011, 10:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I'm sure LeeP would advise that Andy @ Scoobyspares is pretty damn good...

dunx
Old 18 March 2011, 04:42 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference in 6 speed ratio's and 5 speed ratio's only really becomes apparent on track when the 6 speed ratio's are no where near as good as the 5 speed ratio's. You end up taking more gear changes and therefore lose time. On a road car the issues wouldnt show.
Old 18 March 2011, 09:48 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the 6 speed box is very good and I haven,t noticed any notchiness, although I dont think that the gearchange is as slick as the 5 speed box. My car is a Jdm though. Steve.