CDF Racing short shifter- 5 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2010, 01:47 PM
54_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDF Racing short shifter- 5 Speed

Hi Guys,

Received mine yesterday and as you've all said in the group buy thread its a nice looking bit of kit. Ive been trying to fit mine now for over an hour. It was tricky gettin the old one out of the bit where the ball joint sits, but got there eventually. The bit im now struglling with is locating the new ball joint into the white locator at the bottom where the ball sits. No matter how much force i apply it just wont pop in. Its greased, ive tried seperating the area slightly with all kinds of tools and quite frankly im ready to give up!!
Ive rang CDF, Chris i think his name is is on holiday, and the guys there although as helpful as they could be didnt shed much light on the subject.

Any suggestions greatfully received as its doin me nut and i cant go anywhere

Mark
Old 25 November 2010, 12:59 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you removed the circlip on the outer bottom of the white plastic seat.
Old 25 November 2010, 11:05 AM
54_WRX
Scooby Newbie

I dint see one there, although i have now sorted it with the help of a mate and a bit of brute force
Old 25 November 2010, 11:48 AM
bugboy
Scooby Regular

glad its sorted mate. I got mine in with some brute force as well. how are you finding yours? mine is a little stiffer but the throw is awsome.
Old 25 November 2010, 02:15 PM
54_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Its definately gonna take some getting used to, a tad stiffer but so much more precise. The only negative thing is that it brings the linkage bar overly close to the metal surround and sometimes seems to vibrate slightly, im sure i can mod that though.

Overall, excellent bit of kit
Old 26 November 2010, 03:38 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Just cut a bit off the plate I had to do this on my RA.
Old 26 November 2010, 02:32 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 54_WRX
I dint see one there, although i have now sorted it with the help of a mate and a bit of brute force
Did you remove the linkage or do it in situ?
The circlip is at the bottom of the linkage. The white plastic cup that sits in the metal part of the linkage is held in by a circlip which you need to get underneath to remove or easier still remove the whole linkage. IF you do it by forcing it you risk breaking the plastic cup.
Old 27 November 2010, 01:47 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

ok so this wasnt much fun. Before i start (puts flame suit on) the shifter is very good quality, however, the instructions lol, either Chris is massive or i am a wimp as i could not get the feckin thing in so opted to drop the gear linkage off, take the circlip off, fit the lever then in true Haynes fashion refitting was the reversal of removal. Due to it being on my drive on a jack and tressle and feckin freezing it took ******* ages! Had i know i had to drop all the linkage out i would have gone to my local garage to use his ramp. However the instructions say, refit the new lever in the socket! after reading that i thought it was a piece of **** so told the Mrs half hour tops!
Needless to say i was getting neat **** for the two hours it took me as the shopping was more important, yeah fair one genius but how are we gonna go shopping with no gear lever fitted, rolling of eyes then she left me alone to continue swearing at the car.

So got it all back together and after bolting down the plate that holds the rubber seal on and trying the throw i am disappointed to find the linkage to the gear lever rubs really badly on the plate, so much so that it wont go into 1st!

I am correct in assuming the block (that did require tightening) should face with the bush towards the dash, not sure about the nylock nut either as i cant get it into safety.

Any advice?
Old 27 November 2010, 02:33 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

glad i got the bush orientation right as i was thinking there was no way it would fit the other way, here are some phots, the block is as low as poss so cant work out why it is rubbing so badly, if i tighten all the bolts down there is no way it will go in first i know Chris is away so hopefully he might have some solutions when he gets back, my threads are also damaged as well so cant fit the new ****,threaders, Chris? can you let me know what size die you used and i will try to re cut the top two threads at work.

Name:  SDC12140.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  91.7 KB
Name:  SDC12139.jpg
Size:  79.5 KB
Name:  SDC12138.jpg
Size:  102.9 KB
Old 27 November 2010, 04:14 PM
54_WRX
Scooby Newbie

The block with the bush is on the wrong way up!! If you look at the unit once off you will see one end is countersunk!! That will allow it to sit lower on the shaft, it will still rub slightly mind but im gonna strip and cut the plate slightly.

Mark.
Old 27 November 2010, 06:38 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 54_WRX
The block with the bush is on the wrong way up!! If you look at the unit once off you will see one end is countersunk!! That will allow it to sit lower on the shaft, it will still rub slightly mind but im gonna strip and cut the plate slightly.

Mark.
Sweet mate, thats some eagle eyes you got there, after coming in to warm up a bit i pondered on it and thought that maybe, just maybe i had fitted the aft end of the gear linkage (2 bolted piece undercar) upside down. It niggled at me so i had to go out and check, jacked the car up, disconnected everything, again, and what a surprise i had....................i had it right the first time lol if i mounted the aft section upside down it was even worse, what a **** lol. ah well live and learn. Note to ones self my a house with a pit on the drive next time lol. Anyhoo refitted everything back and just decided to fit the plate 180 out until Chris gets back to me, but to be honest (its pretty dark here now so aint doing it tonight) when i check the block i will be chuffed to bits if it does cure it, many thanks
Old 28 November 2010, 11:49 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

You can take much more off the plate than that its only function is to locate the centre console. I had to take a fair bit off my classic one when I had a very short shift on it.

Think we should start a sweep for who is the first person to destroy the plastic cup by trying to force the shifter ball in without removing the circlip.
Old 09 June 2017, 07:52 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arch
You can take much more off the plate than that its only function is to locate the centre console. I had to take a fair bit off my classic one when I had a very short shift on it.

Think we should start a sweep for who is the first person to destroy the plastic cup by trying to force the shifter ball in without removing the circlip.
Apologies for the thread revival, but I nearly claimed that sweep yesterday:

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=203