Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

1994 wrx auto. Gearbox or diff?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2010, 02:59 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 wrx auto. Gearbox or diff?

Your advice needed.

Bought a donor 1994 wrx, automatic - did a test drive and mechanically all was well, although I had the window rolled down at that time, what a ******* ****... lol

As I was going to be going on the motorway having slung £50 of V-power in it, I rolled the window up.

Then I could hear a faint whine, it was constant on the way back from Milton Keynes, wasn't sure if it was the gearbox or maybe / hopefully just a diff...

Carried on driving, then when we got passed Heathrow it started reving high when i put my foot down - like 5k rpm but it wasn't actually getting any faster. Almost like it didnt see any reason to change up.

Tried moving it from D to 3, 2 etc and it let me select that without any fighting, but it didn't make it work properly again.

It got progressively worse and 40mph seemed bearable but decided to pull up on the hard shoulder, by this time I'd reached j10 so limped onto the A3, pulled up on the had shoulder again and my mate tried to look at it for me.

He said he could smell a transmission fluid / gearbox oil type of smell. Placed a call to Moley who informed me the gearbox dipstick was near the TMIC. It got checked and it seemed ok according to my mate.

Guess I need someone who knows their scoobies to take a proper look. Don't have a handbook for a 1994 wrx, automatic so unsure of the correct procedure for checking the levels properly.

Whilst I'd prefer it not to be a knackered gearbox and say be a diff I think it's probably the former?
Old 21 June 2010, 01:56 PM
Grunter2
Scooby Newbie

My experience with autos is limited to the ones in my range rovers, the oil can go out of grade and cause what you describe when it warms up. I know the rover box needed changing about 5 times doing about 100 miles between changes as you cannot drain what is in the torque converter. might not need as many changes with yours as it doesnt have a tractor sized torque converter.
Old 21 June 2010, 06:11 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Grunter2
My experience with autos is limited to the ones in my range rovers, the oil can go out of grade and cause what you describe when it warms up. I know the rover box needed changing about 5 times doing about 100 miles between changes as you cannot drain what is in the torque converter. might not need as many changes with yours as it doesnt have a tractor sized torque converter.
Thanks for your input.

So I'm looking at a gearbox fluid change and filter (in sump?) as the first course of action?
Old 21 June 2010, 07:42 PM
Grunter2
Scooby Newbie

I would just try a fluid change first and see if there is an improvement before going to any extra hassle. Not sure if they work the same but the filter being blocked will cause shifting problems and the oil out of grade gives slipping clutch symptoms ( as far as I remember anyhow).