Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Getting SuperChipped on Friday

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2002, 12:11 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a super chip fitted on Friday by the guy at Well Lane. I will let you all know the results Friday PM. Let's hope it's not a long push home!
MY97 full decat zorst, dawes, K&N induction kit 244bhp@6100 at the moment.
Old 27 March 2002, 12:38 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, better order your new engine now.
I've not heard good things about SuperChips, I don't think they detect overboost as well as some systems.
Also I've heard a lot of detonation problems have occured as a result of a SuperChips setup.
Hope I'm wrong mate, but I'd do a bit of investigation if I was you, there are plenty of safer options out there.
Old 27 March 2002, 01:00 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

As far as I can tell all the systems work on the same principal. Thay send altered information to the ECU. Now the MAF sensor should be able to sort the fueling, so that shouldn't be a problem. With the superchip I still retain a fuel cut safety net, all be it a higher one. The dawes will be controling the boost level and I have asked for no more than 18psi peak, 16-17psi held. This shouldn't cause too many problems. Plus the whole thing is being set up on a rolling road where detonation, fueling, ignition etc can all be monitored.
Old 27 March 2002, 06:03 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Chaz

Why not build your own FCD (or buy one if you're not that confident) and achieve the same thing with the Dawes?

I thought the Superchip did away with fuel cut altogether - hence the problems with this solution when owners later want 'a little more' and just turn up the boost.

How much are you paying for it?

Richard
Old 27 March 2002, 07:38 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Chaz,
I'm with dowser on this (and hence my original concerned post), I believe Superchip installs do not have the safety cut out.
Old 27 March 2002, 08:10 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No FCD with a Superchip, ask Mervyn at PE, he'll confirm it.
They are also Superchip Dealers (of a fashion).
Old 27 March 2002, 08:29 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Apparently there will be a new Superchip product soon which raises fuel cut - is this what you are getting?

Trending Topics

Old 27 March 2002, 08:30 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Red face

Removal of the Fuel Cut is indeed "A Bad Thing"(tm)!!!!

Matt
Old 27 March 2002, 08:36 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Not necessarily a 'bad thing tm', just puts the responsibility on the owner to control boost levels. But I guess the owner can't act as quick as the ecu when the wastegate hose splits

As John pointed out way back - Superchips FCD/Bleed is a very overpriced solution for what it is. Wonder what they use for FCD - a 50p zener?

Richard
Old 27 March 2002, 09:41 AM
WJW
Scooby Regular

Chaz - I've just had my 'superchip' removed from my MY01 because I'm changing car on Friday/Saturday and they wanted it in standard trim. I'm offering it for sale @ £200 if you're interested. Well Lane fitted and removed it for me.

Mail me if you're interested.

Billy.

PS No problems with the chip at all (+40bhp easy)
Old 27 March 2002, 04:59 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dowser, I would say it was because if you're not looking at your boost gauge when something goes wrong, there is no safety net which the fuel cut is.

I would want that safety net with no exceptions!!!!!!!

Matt
Old 27 March 2002, 05:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The only hardware you need is an HKS FCD for £95 then use your Dawes to tune. Can Well Lane do this for you? Alternatively why not wait for the new Superchip or consider another option?
Old 27 March 2002, 05:45 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Hi CHAZ,

I was thinking of doing the same ... see this thread for peoples comments!

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=78007

[Edited by PING - 3/27/2002 5:45:59 PM]
Old 27 March 2002, 07:10 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

My car, is my car. If it blows up, then it blows up. I'll get it repaired. In the same way if somebody crashed into it tomorrow I'd have to get that repaired to. My car is something that I love to drive. It does not get spared. Each time I take it out the parts get a little more worn, a little closer to being replaced. If I was concerned about keeping my car perfect for ever, then I wouldn't be able to drive it at all. I thank you all for your words of warning, and will remember them as I pass you.
Old 27 March 2002, 07:22 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

With a cheap fuel cut eliminator and Dawes or bleed to raise the boost, all you need to do is fit an adustable pressure switch which triggers a buzzer or lamp in the case of overboost

All for less than 100 quid

You could also wire in the pressure switch to your fuel pump relay if you are short sighted, hard of hearing and have slow reactions

Edited to say - I'll wave back to you when you pass (on the back of an AA transporter)

[Edited by Cosie Convert - 3/27/2002 7:25:45 PM]
Old 27 March 2002, 08:55 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Why is it that the costs of improving your cars performance worries you so much? None of you try to make your own petrol, skimp on servicing etc. You all afforded the cars in the first place. You wouldn't advocate doing your own respraying over that of a profesional, would you? This is how I look at modding my car. I take it to the guys that have done it a thousand times before. Why do you find this such a hard pill to swallow?
I realise that there are alot of you out there who are talented in your tinkering. I however, am not confident, that I can put as much resources into developing a "home grown" soultion that will be as good a super chip.
I am however, trying to build myself a set of alloy wheels and tyres for less than £20 a corner, will post details soon.
Old 27 March 2002, 08:58 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Well, isn't a Superchip a cheap version of a proper ECU (Link, MoTec etc) and a bad way to achieve what you want?
Old 27 March 2002, 09:26 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

A link, moTec, gems etc would be able to cope with a FMIC, hybrid turbo etc in their programming. But as I haven't fitted any of these why would I need a system that complicated?
Old 27 March 2002, 09:30 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Cosie Convert

"I'll wave back to you when you pass (on the back of an AA transporter)"

It's a shame that with all your tinkering you can't pull away from one of these.
Old 27 March 2002, 09:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Charles it is a value for money and quality/safety issue for many of us regarding the Superchip.

Like many others I had to tinker with my PPP to get what was intended out of it (even before I modded it further), and in so doing got sucked into doing/learning more when I realised how easy it was. I actually enjoy the tinkering, and the results are good.

Nobody is saying you should make things yourself if you don't want to!

But if you post in a forum like this saying you will get a Superchip I find it quite reassuring that you get the sort of "alarmist" replies you have had above.

It is genuinely a piece of overpriced duff rubbish IMHO. They are bringing a new one out which will be much better for the simple reason that you will actually have a fuel cut somewhere.

Wastegates do stick closed. Throttles do get stuck open. Hoses do come off or split or get burnt. Solenoids do stick open. Atmospheric conditions do change. Boost gauges can be too slow to even register high boost before your ECU can fuel cut in extremis. ***** can stick on Dawes devices if you use this with your Superchip.

Bleed valves do seem susceptible to creeping up the boost on track.

Few are averse to spending cash if they can see a benefit from doing so. Most will not spend the cash when there are several better alternatives out there.

I am suggesting an HKS FCD and keep your Dawes as your boost control. Your car will be quicker and safer, and it will cost you less. Better still, keep your Dawes and get say a Unichip remap of your timing and fuelling. Run lower boost and get better performance. That would be more expensive but far superior as an overall package.

But I wish you luck with your Superchip none the less and I am sure you will enjoy the driving experience.

However, when you hear from people who have had Superchips (who do not fiddle with the settings) and they tell you how they saw their gauge going up to 25 PSI one day for no reason because a hose came loose and they tell you they backed off just in time, I am very worried.

Maplin sell Zener diodes for 20p. You can connect one of these from the MAP sensor to ground and have the same as a Superchip. Or you can fit a Dawes into the MAP sensor line off a T-piece.
Old 27 March 2002, 10:08 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

When performing all these DIY modifications I assume that you go back to a rolling road where thay can check all perameters? If I was to use other devices I would need to include the cost of this rolling road visit to each modification to ensure what I was doing wasn't dangerous. As a power run, without diagnostics is about £50. A superchip installed a reputable rolling road for £350 IMHO isn't that bad. I don't see how the Superchip can be "overpriced rubbish" as I will have the confidence to plant my right foot when fitted, which I wouldn't have if I had installed it myself. It only appears to be on this forum/car that people rubbish the product. There are many, many snetters who had heard of somebody, that knew somebody else, that had heard of one incident possibly. Burn her she's a witch etc
Old 27 March 2002, 10:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Enjoy it It will go fast.

I had a check on the Select monitor at 18 PSI. I monitor boost and lambda, and soon knock and intake temp.

If people dissed the product without reason or knowledge then it would be as you suggest. However, if you have an answer as to how having no fuel cut whatsoever is safe then I would like to hear it. The only circumstance I would even consider it is with an EBC with an alarm and a programmed cutout, but even then it can't do anything if a hose comes off or the wastegate sticks. Even then it is just unnecessary and short-sighted to remove fuel cut entirely.

How many times do you hear of MY98s hitting overboost fuel cut in the cold weather. Even unmodded cars do it - there seems to be a run of threads from about October! Now if we were all hotshot drivers that control the boost with out right foots this wouldn't happen would it?

I can also tell you that 21 PSI during spool up below 3000 RPM does not feel so wildly different to 17 PSI that you would notice in time before it reached 25 PSI and then it might be too late. Even the Prodrive ECU with a 19 PSI fuel cut has never let me over about 21 on the gauge even instantaneously, and sometimes I had not noticed if I was not looking at the gauge. I just hope you catch it in time if it happens to you.

At the end of the day your car, you seem to have made your decision, and I genuinely hope you enjoy it. Really

[Edited by john banks - 3/27/2002 10:20:27 PM]
Old 27 March 2002, 10:27 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

I'll have to take you out for a spin in it when I've had it done.
Old 27 March 2002, 10:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I drove a Dave Allan's MY00 with a Superchip and it went very well indeed and put in good rolling road figures.
Old 27 March 2002, 10:32 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Did he tell you any good jokes?
Old 27 March 2002, 10:34 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Got the AFR working, looks cool. Ive mounted it just below the speedo in a little black box.
Old 27 March 2002, 10:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Good. So I can't tempt you into a Fuel cut lifter then?
Old 27 March 2002, 10:50 PM
patswrx
Scooby Regular

CHAZ
i CAN TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE,
DON,T DO IT.
i had mine done at well lane with a magnex system and de cat.
£1000 pounds in total ,car only done 24 thousand miles and in a1 condition but not for long,2 thousand miles down the road it melted no 4 piston and knocked the crank out and left me with a bill of £5000.AND NOT HAPPY
hope that help your decision Pat...
Old 27 March 2002, 10:56 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Is yours an import WRX, if so, mmmmmmm a pattern
Old 27 March 2002, 10:59 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

What boost was it set for?

Quick Reply: Getting SuperChipped on Friday