Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whats happened to my performance?.

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2002, 09:00 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

On my way home last night, I got quite a shock.
As I was pulling off a roundabout onto a nice twisty B road, I noticed the car behind me wanted to play. So in 2nd at 3k I though I’d entertain this fools ambition to be humiliated.
As I changed into 3rd I had a quick glance in the rear view mirror, WHAT, he’s still there, I then continued to gun the car but I just couldn’t shake him.
I couldn’t make the car out being dark roads and was expecting something special.
Got into a built up area to reveal the car was a Rover 620 something or other, total standard, door trims hanging off and everything.
Again this morning I have egg on my face, a little Suzuki Swift made me look stupid up to 120ish.
The car is running like a pig, no throttle at all. Below 3kish if I stand on the gas pedal it doesn’t pick up so I have to ease the gas on. When the turbo kicks in things improve until 4kish then its like hitting the rev limiter.
Please help me to get the beast back running as she should. I can’t bear disgrace the Scooby name any longer.
Cheers.
Ian.

MY96 UK Turbo.
34,000 Miles.
ITG Air Filter, ProDrive Back Box.
Old 22 March 2002, 10:34 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am no expert, but check plugs, plug gaps, lambda sensor, boost level, filters.

If it was a Rover 620ti (turbo) they can be suprisingly fast with a low boost threshold and no AWD losses. They can also be modified quite successfully. The Suzuki experience possibly suggests your car is possibly running under par.
Old 22 March 2002, 10:48 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeh those rover 620Tis have 200horses and no AWD loss, so its no surprise. I had trouble with a Golf VR6 once to, which I was annoyed about. He couldnt overtake but was keeping up to around 110, then I started to pull out some distance thereafter

Those Suzukis are deceivingly fast up to about 60 (give many more powerful hothatches a good run), but 120? hmmm maybe it was modified?
Old 22 March 2002, 02:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Agree with John, could be your boost levels are low, sometimes it could be down to contamination of the boost solenoid or the pipes to the wastegate are a little clogged, doest cost much to get sorted (26 quid from the dealer for mine) and noticable improvement up the top end.
A rolling road should point to something if anything major is wrong but hopefully its nothing serious

Tony
Old 22 March 2002, 02:11 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Get some brake cleaner and sort the WG solenoid (silly easy)...and get a boost gauge on it...check for split hoses...reset the ECU...

If all else fails...get a dealer to check for any error codes.

/J
Old 25 March 2002, 08:53 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Wink

Got some brake cleaner, did the boost sol and did an ECU reset.
Different car now, cheers guys.
I take it I have to get under the car to get ot the WG sol?.