Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Competition Clutch USA now in UK & Iv bought one!

Old 02 October 2009, 03:34 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Competition Clutch USA now in UK & Iv bought one!

SEE POST 12 FURTHER DOWN FOR UPDATE!!
After some research & speaking to clutch manufacturers; tuners & retailers I have come up with my usual left field answer to my clutch upgrade,

Criteria for my new clutch is "not too expensive" & "be able hold up to 400ft/lb torque minimum (& 350bhp) with the odd trackday per year" & "a couple of launches thrown in too". Also it "must not be a dog to drive everyday & in traffic".

The best clutch would be a twin plate etc but we'r talking £1300 plus for something like an Exedy Hyper Twin etc. Failing that, hardcore uprated organic clutches that can handle such demands would be an ACT / AP Racing / Helix which would also come in at min £650 plus. Also I did'nt want to be right at the upper limit of a Stage 1 upgrade Organic clutch either which are cheaper. (but will leave no margin for future proofing for power upgrades) So that doesnt leave much: twin plate/triple plate way over my budget; stage 1 organics may not be enough for my requirements & stage 2/3 type organics by AP; ACT are also relatively expensive for me.

That leaves paddle clutches which have a reputation for being dogs to drive, especially e.g a 4 puck paddle clutch. Most paddle clutches are quite hard to use & very on-off & difficult to get bitting point & drive in traffic. But they are usually far cheaper than twin/triple plate ones.

But there might be something in between, - "Competition Clutches USA". After speaking to the UK distributor (Competition Clutch UK -'Mike') & reading various US Jap car forums e.g. RSX; Nissan; Honda; Mustang etc they seem to have a very good reputation. They have been around for over 25 years in the past making clutches for differing US companies inc Clutchmasters & others. They now make their own performance clutches & flywheels:

USA Competition Clutch
UK Competition Clutch, Uprated clutches and lightweight flywheels

As well as their organic clutches they do a 6 puck sprung paddle clutch (Stage 4) which has been designed to be far easier than normal paddle clutches & can be slipped in & out of gear without problems. Almost like an organice type clutch but capable of handling shed loads of torque & bhp. And the best bit is the price... approx £340 inc vat.

I think I shall volunteer myself as the Scoobynet ginnie pig & if it all turns out to be as good as it sounds, you'l have me to thank. If not....
Its being delivered on Monday (Stage 4, - 1620 kit includes a performance pressure plate, a six puck high torque sprung disc with Ceramic buttons, all applicable bearings, and the appropriate alignment tool. I didnt go for flywheel,- mine will be skimmed) should have it fitted by following week & full review with pics to follow.

Last edited by rickya; 26 October 2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02 October 2009, 04:40 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6 paddle clutch on my cossie but do find it a bit on and off and won't really slip, If it does slip its noisy, but holds the power well. Just took a bit of getting used to. Good luck with the test.
Old 02 October 2009, 06:14 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

let us know how you get on.
Old 03 October 2009, 09:48 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Great research, keep us informed.
Old 04 October 2009, 10:39 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

I've got stage 3 Clutch Master just fitted, chatters at first but seems to be getting better and better. Can feel its stick properties but does allow slip. Not done power run yet as they say run in norm for 500 miles or could be trouble....gentle seems best at mo. Caught me out bit at first getting into garage as went in with a hop but okay now. Changed from AP Racing sti organic as that wasn't holding the torque (great clutch though).
Old 04 October 2009, 11:28 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

how do i get one of these then! i need a new one asap and this looks better than the new one that i had delivered the other day
Old 04 October 2009, 07:21 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I think the Clutchmaster is a similar clutch but not be exactly the same. IIRC they were originaly one company & then Competition Clutch went off & started doing clutches for Jap Sports cars etc
Old 04 October 2009, 07:22 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

If you contact Competition clutches UK on Tel 01327226134 & the chap's name is Mike. (Tell him Ricky recommended off Scoobynet doing the review)
Old 22 October 2009, 06:26 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Ive just got myself one of these stage 2 organic clutch from this guy mike iev had it put in and it should handle what im aiming for 390bhp 370ft but im just bedding it in at the mo and its gripping real hard and causing the car to judder ive been told this should go away in a few 100 miles, this wa sonly 300 quid ill give my veiws on it in a week or two when i have the new turbo and headers on
Old 22 October 2009, 07:06 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
After some research & speaking to clutch manufacturers; tuners & retailers I have come up with my usual left field answer to my clutch upgrade,

Criteria for my new clutch is "not too expensive" & "be able hold up to 400ft/lb torque minimum (& 350bhp) with the odd trackday per year" & "a couple of launches thrown in too". Also it "must not be a dog to drive everyday & in traffic".

The best clutch would be a twin plate etc but we'r talking £1300 plus for something like an Exedy Hyper Twin etc. Failing that, hardcore uprated organic clutches that can handle such demands would be an ACT / AP Racing / Helix which would also come in at min £650 plus. Also I did'nt want to be right at the upper limit of a Stage 1 upgrade Organic clutch either which are cheaper. (but will leave no margin for future proofing for power upgrades) So that doesnt leave much: twin plate/triple plate way over my budget; stage 1 organics may not be enough for my requirements & stage 2/3 type organics by AP; ACT are also relatively expensive for me.

That leaves paddle clutches which have a reputation for being dogs to drive, especially e.g a 4 puck paddle clutch. Most paddle clutches are quite hard to use & very on-off & difficult to get bitting point & drive in traffic. But they are usually far cheaper than twin/triple plate ones.

But there might be something in between, - "Competition Clutches USA". After speaking to the UK distributor (Competition Clutch UK -'Mike') & reading various US Jap car forums e.g. RSX; Nissan; Honda; Mustang etc they seem to have a very good reputation. They have been around for over 25 years in the past making clutches for differing US companies inc Clutchmasters & others. They now make their own performance clutches & flywheels:

USA Competition Clutch
UK Competition Clutch, Uprated clutches and lightweight flywheels

As well as their organic clutches they do a 6 puck sprung paddle clutch (Stage 4) which has been designed to be far easier than normal paddle clutches & can be slipped in & out of gear without problems. Almost like an organice type clutch but capable of handling shed loads of torque & bhp. And the best bit is the price... approx £340 inc vat.

I think I shall volunteer myself as the Scoobynet ginnie pig & if it all turns out to be as good as it sounds, you'l have me to thank. If not....
Its being delivered on Monday (Stage 4, - 1620 kit includes a performance pressure plate, a six puck high torque sprung disc with Ceramic buttons, all applicable bearings, and the appropriate alignment tool. I didnt go for flywheel,- mine will be skimmed) should have it fitted by following week & full review with pics to follow.

just wondering how things are holding up with this? looks like a fantastic bit of kit for the cash!! i take it these are next day delivery? cheers. Lee.
Old 23 October 2009, 04:12 AM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

I'm really curious about this. I'm considering getting the Competition Clutch Stage 2 for my 98 V4 STi RA. A friend put it in his WRX RA and seems good.

Just don't want it to be too harsh as they claim the Exedy stage 2 can tend to be. Also considering Exedy stage 1 organic, but clearly, this is cheaper and if it's just as good or close, then why not?

happydude303 keep us posted on your progress I'm really interested.
Old 26 October 2009, 03:03 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

UPDATE

Cut a long story short the clutch did not work & I had to pay the garage twice: once to fit the non functioning Competition Clutch & then again to fit a replacement Exedy Stage 1 Racing (Pink kit) Clutch from Lateral Performance. (who opened up on Time attack saturday especially to help me!) Jam Performance who fitted the clutch were also quite helpful in that they had the car on their ramps for almost 3 days while this was going on, they even put my old clutch back in at one point to rule out any other issues!

I was refused a refund for the clutch by Competiton Clutch unless it was proven defective. Jam Performance thought that the clutch friction plate was too thick & hence not working. I then did a lot of reserach on the internet & found exactly the same issue with a chap on IWSTI forum in the US. (as well as various similar issues on different makes of vehicles) I passed on this info to Competiton Clutch UK who then found out from the US office that yes this clutch wont work as is, unless you use their flywheel too! Of which I was told the opposite before purchase.

Currently I have had to pay to get a non functioning clutch fitted & paid for special delivery to send the clutch back to them. I am still awaiting a refund for the clutch purchase price only. (was told it should be done this week) I have also submitted my costs for postage & labour for fiting the clutch (which Jam Performance heavily discounted for me) but am still awaiting a decesion from the US on whether they will pay for these costs. I do not feel it is fair that they do not pay for these costs & I will persue this to its limit in this regard.

Though this error could have been avoided by them with better product info & knowledge I feel hard done by. Mainly due to the time & effort I have wasted & I must have made over 20 phone calls, sent numerous faxes & spent hours on the internet to try & get any kind of responsible action from them, let alone an apology

If they do the right thing & refund all my costs then I suppose they would redeem themselves IMO & I could put this experience down to bad luck & inexperience of a new company. But if they dont, then as well as them selling me a non functioning item they would be also be untrustworthy in terms of their customer service, reputation, & hence product & warranty.

Last edited by rickya; 26 October 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 26 October 2009, 06:47 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

You mean has at Jam Performance
Old 26 October 2009, 07:32 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K18LLR
You mean has at Jam Performance
Sorry mate, your brother's been working on the car so much this week that I seemed to change the garage name to his!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rickya; 26 October 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 23 November 2009, 02:26 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Hello mate. im in process of searching for a new clutch and ive just come across the competition clutch. Are you saying they dont work period or only work with one of their flywheels?

What power can your stage 1 exedy take?
Old 23 November 2009, 02:46 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I would go with an ACT Organic (either 429 or 515) as discussed.

Decent clutches.
Old 23 November 2009, 03:53 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Ive been looking at them Bob and they look good. only problem is them being a Yank company with no UK HQ. Means returns/faults would be an issue
Old 23 November 2009, 03:59 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Yeah, but you'll save yourself some cash by importing direct.

They work well.
Old 23 November 2009, 04:06 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Cheers mate. How long would a stage 1 exedy last with 400tq?

Have you heard of anyone using the Comp clutches?

ACT 429 from states = £330 :shock:
Old 23 November 2009, 04:08 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Don't forget to add shipping, import tax, VAT and customs clearing charges. All adds up.

Nope, don't know of anyone running those. Several of our customers are running ACT ones though and they work very well.
Old 23 November 2009, 04:15 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

£330 including shipping on the 429 model

Vat and import tax will hopefully be avoided as its being sent as a replacement item.
Old 23 November 2009, 08:04 PM
si2000
Scooby Regular

Scoobyclinic sell the ACT clutches at reasonable prices, thats where im getting mine from.
Old 23 November 2009, 08:19 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

All ordered now
Old 23 November 2009, 09:20 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveBeck
All ordered now
I hope you have'nt bought the Competition Clutch!!!

Old 23 November 2009, 09:30 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

ACT mate

Old 06 December 2009, 11:55 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Dont wate your money guys this stage 2 organic clutch is rubbish its been in a month and is slipping in 5th 6th gear when loading it up i wish i had bought an AP or A helix never again will i by form this company as i cant even get hold of them , ps i do not launch my car avoid like the plague
Old 04 February 2010, 11:34 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Final Update:

Wrong/Faulty Clutch was not refunded nor apology given. This was after phoning Mike Marchant (Competition Clutch UK)several times a week for a couple of months! Every time him saying that he'd refunded money back on the credit card when he blatantly had not!

My credit card company investigated the case & forcefully refunded money back to me. The credit card company advised that traders sometimes pretend they have refunded the amount to stop you going through the credit card company for a refund. Once a certain time period has elapsed after the initial sale transaction it becomes very hard to then obtain a refund.

I still have not received a refund for return postage of £20 nor the £300 approx labour cost of fitting & taking out of this clutch. Which Mike Marchant (Competition Clutch UK) said he would get back to me about, that was Oct 2009. I have given up phoning him nor could I be bothered going on various forums telling people what a load of crap Competition Clutch is. But here on Scoobynet, (on our patch!), if any fellow scooby owners are thinking of buying from Competition Clutch UK, I will definetley offer them my experience based on proveable fact.

Obviously I then had to pay again to get a proper Exedy clutch fitted.

Last edited by rickya; 04 February 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04 February 2010, 06:05 PM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Final Update:

Wrong/Faulty Clutch was not refunded nor apology given. This was after phoning Mike Marchant (Competition Clutch UK)several times a week for a couple of months! Every time him saying that he'd refunded money back on the credit card when he blatantly had not!

My credit card company investigated the case & forcefully refunded money back to me. The credit card company advised that traders sometimes pretend they have refunded the amount to stop you going through the credit card company for a refund. Once a certain time period has elapsed after the initial sale transaction it becomes very hard to then obtain a refund.

I still have not received a refund for return postage of £20 nor the £300 approx labour cost of fitting & taking out of this clutch. Which Mike Marchant (Competition Clutch UK) said he would get back to me about, that was Oct 2009. I have given up phoning him nor could I be bothered going on various forums telling people what a load of crap Competition Clutch is. But here on Scoobynet, (on our patch!), if any fellow scooby owners are thinking of buying from Competition Clutch UK, I will definetley offer them my experience based on proveable fact.

Obviously I then had to pay again to get a proper Exedy clutch fitted.
Send him a small claims summon that mite wake his *** up, even if he decides to give you half for not wanting the hassle of going to court....https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp....in this situation I would fill the claim form detailing what has happened then make a copy with a covering letter and send it to the defendent.

The letter should state that unless the defendent not get in touch within a given period of time (i.e 14 days) to settle the matter that you will send the from to court and will request for the court to decide the matter.

From my experience most people **** themselves and get in touch, should he not It would be idea to pop along to your local Legal advice centre to see if your case will hold upo in a county court.

Failing the above we can send the boys round when we go to do a track day at Silverstone and stick clutch up his Competition ***
Old 06 February 2010, 08:21 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Guv Spec C

Failing the above we can send the boys round when we go to do a track day at Silverstone and stick clutch up his Competition ***
Would need a specific tool and lightweight flywheel.
Old 19 September 2010, 04:08 PM
wrx0211
Scooby Regular

well guys ive been advised by reliable source that these clutchs r good,so im gettin a stage 4 with flywheel,ill let u guys no how it goes after 500mls runnin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Competition Clutch USA now in UK & Iv bought one!