Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

possible diff problem {i think}

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 02:28 AM
scottyboy553
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible diff problem {i think}

just purchased 98 sti ra 555 vltd,bloke at scooby clinic told me to leave dccd in the bottom green light setting unless wet or icy,very wet today so clicked it up to the first amber setting,reversing off my drive pressed clutch pedal in an the car just stopped as though brake was binding on,pulled off forward and all seemed fine.also when pulling away from a junction when wheels are turned there is a horrible judder through steering wheel,also when parking.any one out there got any suggestions please!
Old 23 June 2009, 04:26 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

if you are on full lock, or nearly full lock when this happens it's pretty normal, mine does and so do most/all others.......I thought ****!!! when it first happend to mine but my mind was soon put to rest (there's a pretty comprehensive post on here somewhere explaining all about it).
Old 23 June 2009, 06:41 PM
scottyboy553
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that,had n/s wheel off today and the inside off wheel was covered in grease,after further investigation i found that it was out off drive shaft gator,repaired it and greased it back up and the juddering seems to have got a lot less,there is some still there but im wondering if the other side may need doing,i understand there will be a certain amount when on lock but feels as though something may be loose or dry.i always think the worst as ive been stung by many 4 figure bills before with subarus,any idea about the other problem!
Old 23 June 2009, 07:42 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

There are loads of good posts on here about how the DCCD works and how to set the thumbwheel - suffice to say that the advice you received from Scoobyclinic isn't wrong, but it's simple to the point that there's a lot more you really need to know, and one of the first things is that in an ideal world you'd open it back up at parking speeds, irrespective of whether it's wet, icy, dry or whatever.

Feeling (and hearing) the diff lock up at parking speeds is normal, especially if you've turned it up, but none of us can actually sit in your car via the internet, so none of us can tell for certain whether what you are hearing and feeling is normal or worse. If you've already discovered a damaged shaft boot, and it's been like that for some time, it's possible that the joint might have suffered some collateral damage - again there's no way for us to be certain.

Having a read of the other DCCD posts will probably help you both estimate whether your car sounds and feels "normal" at this point, and it'll also help you get the most out of the car. That'd be a good place to start.

Last edited by Splitpin; 23 June 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:39 PM
scottyboy553
Scooby Newbie

bin under car tonight,on the subject of juddering,its not really juddering through wheel its through the pedal and the rest of the car which makes me think its through the wheel,there is 3 or 4mm of play in prop shaft at front but not sure if this is normal,its not when u spin it when theres play,i held the prop shaft so as not to turn and i can move the prop up and down a couple of mil,has anyone ever had a u/j go on scooby or is this unlikely to be my problem,cant understand y it only does it when pulling off with wheel turned slightly,doesnt do it when i pull off in straight line and doesnt do it when cornering normaly,only when pulling off round bend or junction in 1st,any suggestions!
Old 08 July 2009, 12:42 PM
greg320
Scooby Regular

its the diffs mate,try the diff in the green setting and pull off with wheel slightly turned and it should be ok,if not then you have some minor problem