Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Pro's & Cons of D-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2002, 01:01 PM
Catalunya74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can any one tell me the pro's & cons of fitting a catless ss Down pipe, I currently run SS exhaust (with the cats) Just purchaseing a cat replacement pipe at the moment for the rear small cat.
Been told to replace the fronts though. What do i say if i get pulled for a road side test ect.
The car is otherwise standard apart from the Bailey motorsport Dump Valve & of course the Exhaust.
I would have done a search but it doe'snt seem to work for me, is every one having the same problem
Thanks for any information you can provide
Cat74
Old 18 February 2002, 01:50 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Pros:
Car drives better - there are measurements & stuff, but the main difference is the power is more attainable (is both higher & lower in the rev range). Money well spent.

Cons:
As you say, emissions... I haven't heard of any 'results' from road-side tests, & I don't think anyone seems sure even what's meant to happen, but no, you wouldn't pass
Linked to this the downer is swapping-over at MOT time. That is if it's a European car or import later than some year or other so emissions test are needed. For the swapping over, my plan is having 2 lambda sensors, one in the catted pipe, one in the decat, as they appear to be the trickest bit to change. Should make the swapping-over procedure less iffy Never tried it though...
Old 18 February 2002, 02:56 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a decatted downpipe,doesnt need to be touched for the MOT,as long as the back cat is nice and hot you should pass OK.

Steve
Old 18 February 2002, 06:58 PM
Catalunya74
Scooby Regular

thanks fella's
any more coments appreciated