Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Diff problem I think, please help

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 10:30 AM
sanjayh
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff problem I think, please help

I have acquired a WRX wagon auto 1994. When cornering at low speeds the car judders and at least one of the wheels will skid. It almost seems like one or more of the diffs are locking. At high speeds nothing is noticable, but then i am new to the scooby driving exp. the car has a little holder near the firewall (like a fuse holder, but without a fuse in it, just two empty connectors) that has slip diff written on it.

please tell me if the diff's are likely to be broken, and also what the little holder is for (is there a fuse missing from it?).

Also, the auto box has a button on the base with no label on it. It is located in front of the P on the auto box. Does anyone know what it does?

In general it goes like a rocket, but when performing U-turns or trying to power slide is struggles with the above issue.

cheers in advance
Old 27 November 2008, 10:26 PM
fujiyama
Scooby Regular

It's caused by the centre diff. The early autos suffer from wear inside the tailshaft housing, which allows trans fluid to bypass the diff. Later versions had a steel lining which cured the problem. The liner type housing can be fitted to the early type box, but it'll probably cost more than the car is worth. I just live with it on my '96.
The fuse holder you mention is left empty in normal use. If you need to change the car to 2WD, for instance, if you need to put it on a rolling road, you need to insert a 25 amp fuse into the holder. Doing this will also check whether your centre is at fault; if the judder is still present when the fuse is fitted the problem is not the diff. HTH.
Old 28 November 2008, 03:25 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly as Fujiyama says, he's right on the button there.

Live with it, it'll be cheaper and it's not doing any harm.

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333
Old 28 November 2008, 03:52 PM
sanjayh
Scooby Newbie

Thankyou for clearing that up. Will it cause an issue passing the MOT? Also if i were to drive it with the fuse in for the winter ( for example), will I get more economy out of it (being 2wd), and will it damage it in any way?.

I will try the fuse thing tonight to determine if the problem is defo the thing you mentioned. Yep the car is worth 1k, not worth tinkering with and if something big fails i will be scrapping it.

Do you know what that button on the gear selector is? on the base in front of the 'P'

regards
Old 28 November 2008, 03:56 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sanjayh
Thankyou for clearing that up. Will it cause an issue passing the MOT? Also if i were to drive it with the fuse in for the winter ( for example), will I get more economy out of it (being 2wd), and will it damage it in any way?.

I will try the fuse thing tonight to determine if the problem is defo the thing you mentioned. Yep the car is worth 1k, not worth tinkering with and if something big fails i will be scrapping it.

Do you know what that button on the gear selector is? on the base in front of the 'P'

regards
The button is to release it from Park when you have a flat battery and need to push the car.

David
Old 01 December 2008, 10:07 AM
sanjayh
Scooby Newbie

Just another quick question, there is a button next to the hand brake which has auto/manu written on it. When pushed to auto the workd MANU lights up on the dash board and when switched to manu, the light goes off.

Firstly, what is the purpose of this switch? and secondly does it appear to be wired wrongly?

Cheers again