Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Rear Diff Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2008, 09:02 AM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff Bearings

I am going to replace the bearings in my MY98 rear diff, my plan was to remove the diff and strip it down, once I have the bearings out then visit my local bearings supplier and see if they can source them.

To speed up the process does anyone know the codes from the bearing shells, seems a bit rude to phone someone like API and ask them.
Old 30 September 2008, 12:31 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those bearings are taper roller type and we buy from Subaru. Usually the manufacturers are a bit cute with things like that and use a special bearing that is not the same as a generic off the shelf taper roller.

I wouldn't count on getting them from a bearing dealer. AND Subaru may or may not have stock. You might end up with the car laid up for a while once it is in bits.

Good Luck. David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333
Old 30 September 2008, 02:35 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Hi David,

Been on to local Stealer, the price for the bearing was a lot, told me he could get them in two working days?

I'm used to paying around £4-£5 for taper rollers suitable for drivetrain or diff's not £53, the only problem being if they have seals on them but as the scooby has outboard seals I wouldn't ave thought they were required.

quick question how much play is excessive on the diff cups and would you pm me the number on them,,, please

Last edited by Tazz Kill Er; 30 September 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 30 September 2008, 03:02 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

That isn't easy to answer without seeing a diff. There is always an amount of tolerable rock on the side bearings;- BUT they are preloaded to support the crown wheel and without setting the preload there is no amount that could be gauged to be correct unless you did that.

Every diff will have a different setting and thus will have it's own preload level.

David
Old 30 September 2008, 03:07 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

[quote=Tazz Kill Er;8166702]Hi David,

Been on to local Stealer, the price for the bearing was a lot, told me he could get them in two working days?

I'm used to paying around £4-£5 for taper rollers suitable for drivetrain or diff's not £53, the only problem being if they have seals on them but as the scooby has outboard seals I wouldn't ave thought they were required.

They are just simple taper roller bearings, no seals fitted but what Fuji heavy will have done is change a radius or bevel edge and then it is covered by a suffix.

So for example if a standard bearing is a 12345 then it will be 3 or 4 or 5 quid but the Subaru one [ or Ford or GM or Peugeot - any of them ] will be 12345-BX and that makes the difference.

It may well be that a 12345 will do the job, but that is for an experienced eye to decide, not a talented amateur. [ no offence meant ]

David
Old 30 September 2008, 05:28 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tazz Kill Er
Hi David,

quick question how much play is excessive on the diff cups and would you pm me the number on them,,, please
A good supplier should be able to source them, but usually they are specials and as such expensive. Ive bought them before for other boxes and they where cheaper than the dealer but you may have to wait for them to order them in.
Old 30 September 2008, 05:36 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Hi David,

Not that i consider myself a talented amateur, I was only asking about the bearing numbers to see if I could get a head start on the rebuild, the play in the diff cups does seem excessive and one of the seals is leaking, so I will have a look at the weekend.

I understand that any response is in direct conflict with your business interests, however I have choose to have a look at this problem on my own as you are too far away for me to consider you dealing with my diff yourselves and my local stealer is Crap TBH.