Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Attn Stockcar or API...please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2008, 08:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attn Stockcar or API...please!!!

I have a my00UK turbo, the gearbox broke, i have now bought a box from a much newer UK WRX, it's actually got the male driveshaft type driveshafts...... ie, the shft goes IN to the diff..... where-as the slightly earlier box has the stub shafts that the cv things go OVER....... so, the place i got the box from are now sending me the shafts from the car that the box came from, thye reckon they will fit straight into my car..... i'm sceptical.....

So the question..... can anyone clarify wether the shafts will fit, and also, did they mess about with diffs etc on the later UK cars..... or as it's a UK box, will it be the right diff ratio..... i really don't wanna have to mess about with the rear diff....

For reference, the code on my car is ty754vn1aa, and the code on the box that i have to replace it is ty754vn5aa....
Many thanks....

Ron.
Old 25 September 2008, 08:17 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

pretty sure the later shafts are a straight fit for your hubs...........

alyn
Old 25 September 2008, 08:25 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Alyn... didn't expect a reply that quick.... do you not have a home to go to.......LOL/.....

many thanks....
Old 26 September 2008, 03:02 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RON
I have a my00UK turbo, the gearbox broke, i have now bought a box from a much newer UK WRX, it's actually got the male driveshaft type driveshafts...... ie, the shft goes IN to the diff..... where-as the slightly earlier box has the stub shafts that the cv things go OVER....... so, the place i got the box from are now sending me the shafts from the car that the box came from, thye reckon they will fit straight into my car..... i'm sceptical.....

So the question..... can anyone clarify wether the shafts will fit, and also, did they mess about with diffs etc on the later UK cars..... or as it's a UK box, will it be the right diff ratio..... i really don't wanna have to mess about with the rear diff....

For reference, the code on my car is ty754vn1aa, and the code on the box that i have to replace it is ty754vn5aa....
Many thanks....

Ron.
Ron, Sorry, just caught up.

Make sure that VN5AA has a speedo drive. Late boxes don't have it in the same format as your ' old ' one.

The one piece shafts may well be a tad longer than yours and they will ALMOST certainly use a bigger diameter oil seal at the gearbox end.

BUT, you should just be able to pull out your stumps, fit bigger diameter oil seals [ we have stock here ] and use the one piece jobs if they are the same length.

Good Luck, David

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333
Old 26 September 2008, 05:21 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Thanks David, i think i've sorted it now, i laid one of the new shafts next to one of my old ones, and yes, the new shafts were longer, BUT, the cv's on the new ones are different, no abs ring, and no seal flange thingy.... so, what i've worked out, is that if i use my old cv's, on the new shafts, it should work, it works out that the shafts are about the same length that way...... i had originaly thought about changing the inner joints, but the shaft still wasn't long enough, so, i swapped the cv's instead.....

The box appears to have a speedo drive, well, it has a switch for reverse, and another set of wires the same as my old box coming out of it...... so i'm hoping all is well.....

I'll let you know later, as i have just put the box in place....