V3 LSD???

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2008, 02:17 PM
Daz_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V3 LSD???

Hi all,

I have a V3 Sti, and im pretty sure it doesnt have an LSD. Now i dont know if it should have, and its been replaced or what.....

If i were to source a plated LSD for the rear, would i need to change anything else? ie centre diff etc....

Will it have any adverse effects on handling etc?

Thanks
Old 15 August 2008, 11:45 AM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

All turbo Imprezas have some form of Lsd in the rear, yours will (should) have a viscous Lsd (DCCD cars have a plated diff).
You can check by jacking the car up so the wheels are off the ground, and turning a rear wheel, the other rear wheel should turn in the same direction if there is a Lsd in between them. (they turn in opposite directions for an open diff).
Old 17 August 2008, 10:03 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Bollox! If the prop is stopped by a car in gear it will still turn the other shaft the other way - it will just be stiff, and as it has a centre LSD as well, even if its in neutral the rear and centre diffs will be fighting to see which slips and which doesn't, so as a test its pointless as it tells you nothing!

With a centre LSD its hard to check, but jack the rear with the car in gear and hand brake off, the wheel should be moderatly stiff to turn (on a Ford VC LSD a torque wrench on the hub nut is used and should read 20-50Nm when turned at 1rpm) if its quite free to turn you have an open rear diff.

If you replace your R160 rear with an aftermarket plated R160 then as long as the ratios are the same that is all you have to do.

If you replace your R160 rear diff with an plated R180 STi take off then you have to swap driveshafts and rear uprights and make sure you get the same ratio as you have now!

Simon