Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ty754b1ca

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2008, 11:53 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ty754b1ca

Hi all, just found out that my jdm 94 wrx has this gearbox fitted, is it a good gearbox?......
Old 03 June 2008, 07:13 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

anybody have an ra they could compare this box code with?
Old 03 June 2008, 07:45 PM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Look at this chart :The SPDA - Transmission Chart . if it has VB in the middle of that number it's out of a 99 type -r
Old 04 June 2008, 11:48 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

thanks.so should i have dccd?
Old 05 June 2008, 10:01 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The VB in the middle means that it a JDM box.

VN means it is a box from a Uk or European car.

It is nothing to do with type R .

It happens to be, that this one TY754 VB 1 CA, is a type R or RA box from STi 5/6

That box has a final drive of 4.4 : 1 and your original car would have had a 4.1 rear final drive. you need to check that the rear diff was fitted to match the transmission, or you will have diff wind up and break the Dccd which it ought to have.

The only way to check the rear final drive is either;

Take off the back cover and count the teeth. Not easy as the diff will need to be removed from its cradle to do that.

OR; try counting the teeth through the filler plug hole in the back cover of the diff. 4.4 ratio has 40 - 4.1 ratio has 37. Drain the oil out and mark a tooth with tippex or white paint, or whatever is handy and start counting.

It can sometimes be done by rotating the pinion shaft [ where the prop bolts on ] and counting how many times it goes around for a single rotation of a rear wheel. BUT the difference between 4.1 and 4.4 under those circumstance is quite small and you may struggle to get a consistent figure.

Good luck David APi

Agents for Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Old 05 June 2008, 11:04 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

Thanks David, its quick through 1-4 but 5 is quite an overdrive and I will count the teeth soon as! How can I tell if I have dccd? Jamie
Old 06 June 2008, 10:52 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimes
Thanks David, its quick through 1-4 but 5 is quite an overdrive and I will count the teeth soon as! How can I tell if I have dccd? Jamie
VB1CA is technically a Dccd box, BUT it could have had the rear half of the box replaced with a non dccd type transfer case.

From a laymans point of view it will be difficult to tell, unless the car is on a ramp. I guess that you don't have the adjuster wheel that controls the dccd fitted down behind the gear lever on the centre console ?? OR the Xmas tree of lights that show the position of the adjustment of the dccd on a panel between the speedo and rev counter either ?

If you can get it on a ramp the rear housing has an alloy plate on the top with wires coimng out of it. You can just about get your hand up there to feel for it. That will be be dccd type . If it doesn't have the alloy plate the chances are it is not dccd.

Good Luck, David