Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Modified or replaced

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2002, 03:16 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Most people on here either want or already have slight "Mod`s" to their cars, Back boxes etc. When do these replacement parts become modifications. I replaced my B/B with a Scoobysport one cos it had a small hole in it & was blowing, it was also cheaper than the standard part due to it being 2nd hand. Have I modified my car or just replaced a worn out part?
I`m just interested as everyone knows one of the insurance questions is "Has the car been modified in any way?"
I`m sure this is a grey area so any comments welcome.
Old 26 January 2002, 03:49 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hi Lee
In the instance given, it's not grey at all - if it isn't an OEM or pattern part, it's non-standard and will potentially be viewed as modified.

Always best to declare everything in writing.
Old 26 January 2002, 04:30 PM
Spec
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lee, Dave's right, never give the insurance companies any excuse to wriggle out of paying up!
So this means you'll find it harder to sell a 'modified' car.
That means you'll might have to swap your Scoobysport box for a standard one (like the one in my shed ) when you sell it
Old 26 January 2002, 06:32 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

When I sell it???? IF I sell it Its` like trying to get rid of Herpes or so I`m told
I see what you mean though, so if the part is sold as a performance part its a modification? I wonder how many people have put on a Stainless B/B because it`ll last longer than the original part. If the Scoobysport B/B (for instance) did`nt produce more power would it be classed as a mod? or is it a mod because it only has one tailpipe?
Would Pete sell more if he sold it just as "replacement", car not mod`ed = insurance happy.
Please tell me if I`m talking s***e but can you see what I mean?
Old 26 January 2002, 07:50 PM
Spec
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah, I noticed you ain't had much joy selling it! I would have thought your part of Cumbria would have been easier too (more money round Sellafield).
Did you go through Bigrigg last week as I thought I saw a Terzo? go by as I was surveying the road? (exhaust note got my attention)
If the insurance companies stick strictly to the letter of the law then I guess any part that isn't comparable to the OE part could be classed as a mod. So following that thinking that would mean all performance parts are mods (but we would declare them anyway!), of course the other non-performance parts like alloys, bodykits etc are deemed to make it more attractive to thieves!
So the answer is declare everything on the insurance, and when you sell it put the standard parts back on and flog the performance parts to someone else.
Old 27 January 2002, 09:37 AM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Hi Spec, yeah it probably was me although there is another Terzo around Workington with a Hi level spoiler thats been PPP`d. As for selling it, it`s just a case of if anybody wants to buy it I`ll sell it but I`m not that bothered just yet. If you see me again give us a wave