EBC's and bleed valves?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2002, 05:45 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all!
Not really sure what would be best and safe? could anyone explain what the boost controller does and how you set it?
and a bleed valve, is it just a case of plumbing it in and setting it up yourself with a boost gauge? and i presume the fuel cut off wil still work to protect from over boosting, what psi could you run the bleedvalve at and still be safe to notice a increase in performance?

cheers lee
Old 21 January 2002, 12:29 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Lee, long time no read. If you find out any info on this let me know, seem to be a lot of very technical types doin' lots of very technical things in this area. Gotta make sure that you and I can still beat Gaz's Onion.
Old 21 January 2002, 01:46 AM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Guys

There are a number of ways to get a cheap HP hike. Most of which involve a degree of risk.
The best way to minimise this risk is to monitor various parameters such as Boost pressure, Air Fuel Ratio, Knock, Exhaust gas temperature, Injector dutys, charge temperatures etc.
However, by the time you buy all the kit to monitor all this you would have been cheaper just paying some company to mod your car for you !
Not all bad news though because luckily, the manufacturers have designed the engine with a substantial 'safety margin'
Your car was probably designed to run safely under the most severe conditions, ie Climbing a steep hill whilst towing a caravan at high altitude, high ambient temperatures and poor grade fuel.... without blowing up !
So, if you are running under less severe conditions, then yes you can release some more power safely.

As a starter, assuming you have a UK car, then a Dawes valve or bleed valve can be fitted to the wastegate control. This can be set to give approx 30 - 40 more bhp without reaching fuel cut off(ECU safety feature) Cost £25.
A Turbo downpipe (cat bypass) is probably your next best 'bang per buck' mod at £250 - £300
I would advise a minimum of a boost gauge to allow you to check your settings. If you are running an early car then you probably have a standard boost of 0.8 bar. This can be increased to 1.0 bar.

You are unlikely to get into trouble if you keep the boost below 1.1 bar. There are many people running this pressure on otherwise standard cars.

As usual, no guarantees, at your own risk etc !
Old 21 January 2002, 08:50 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

I've run both a bleedvalve and a Boost controller on my MY96. Your normal ECU's fuel cutoff will still work with both these solutions.

Both produce similar results, but I'd opt for the EBC really, although I've not tried these Dawes things that everyone is on about.

The advantage of the EBC over the bleedvalve is that the bleedvalve is a pain to set up right and requires constant adjustment due to weather conditions (hot and cold) and if under bonnet temps get high on a run or something, the boost will raise of its own accord.

EBC is easier to set up and is adjustable in the car (not constantly popping the bonnet). A digital readout is also a lot better than a screw thread.

Once wired in, on my EBC you do 3 full power runs with the EBC in learning mode so that it learns your standard boost curve. Then you just set high and low boost to whatever you want. (Mine is an HKS EVC3)

I'm running 1.35-1.4 bar at the mo and the car is like a bloody missile. I've also got an HKS FCD and AFR though and I'm running pretty much 100 RON (Optimax + booster).

Some would say this is risky, but hey, what isn't these days?

Rich

[Edited by RICH WILD - 1/21/2002 8:54:42 AM]
Old 21 January 2002, 09:21 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lee,

Why don't you come down to the Well Lane Turbo Centre in Batley on Sunday 3/2/2002 and you can see a wide selection of cars.

I'll be there and you can have a look at the Dawes, Rich Wild above will be there and so you can see his EBC. Steve McCulloch will be there with his slightly modded STi.

Also Lee, Well Lane do the Superchips and you could have a chat with them about that (your M8 got his wagon done there didn't he?).

Damian.
Old 21 January 2002, 10:50 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for info!
spen what time is it all happening? my missus has some rels over that way so i could drop em off and come for a nosey!
how many scoobs will have baby seats in?
the EBC sounds a good option, dont want to be under the bonnet all the time with the amount of miles i do!
ill probably just be a wimp and go for a down pipe first.

getting braided hoses on at the next service spen, going to put these 1155's in now, ill let you know damien what there like after a couple of hundred miles, so prob tomorrow

Chaz has that souped up trolley hit the road yet?
Old 21 January 2002, 11:21 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lee,

It will start at 09:00am and probably finish around 3:00pm.

Come down, you can meet up with me if you want but I am aiming to get there for 9:00am.

Damian.
Old 21 January 2002, 01:12 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Geez damien you **** the bed or what?
i cant make 9 m8, means ill have to set off at 7.30 am.
Theres no way ill get my other half and my little girl ready for then
how long are you planning to stay for?

Lee
Old 21 January 2002, 01:15 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lee,

You bone idle git!

I will be stopping to see the other cars run.

Do you know where it is?

Damian.
Old 21 January 2002, 01:39 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Cool

Its not me its the other two! my little girl takes things in her own sweet time on a morning! plus ill probably have to watch Bob The Builder all the way through before we set off!
me im aways up at dawns crack
if her rels are at home im laughing! batley isnt to big so i should find it? been there a couple if times. ill probably here you all

Lee
Old 21 January 2002, 04:35 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Lee,

If you look on www.well-lane.co.uk on the contact page, there's a map. It's dead easy to find.

I'm organising the day, so I'll be there from 9.00 until it finishes. May go on as late as 5pm as we've got 25 runners.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers
Rich
Old 21 January 2002, 05:48 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rich/Damien.
ive got the job sorted
im packing them off to her auntes on friday night!
so 2 nights out an well lane on sunday.
ill be there about tenish
i wont be running my little beastie on the rollers though but ill defo come and have a nosey!

see ya there then peeps

Lee
Old 21 January 2002, 11:32 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

LeeP
See you at well lane? Hoping to be there for 9.00 The onion is going there early Feb. Gaz's hoping for about 190-200bph Strange these oily built it in me garage types.
Old 21 January 2002, 11:43 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ill be there bout 10, might push the boat out if i dont go out on sat night!
Are you running your car at well lane? how much is it for a blast? not that i would or out?

Lee
Gaz's onion wait till i see him!
Old 22 January 2002, 09:00 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

All the places for going on the rollers are full I'm afraid with several reserves. It's been so popular that I'm organising another fairly soon. Watch the Northern board for details.

No probs about spectators though, the more the merrier.

Rich

[Edited by RICH WILD - 1/22/2002 9:02:03 AM]
Old 25 January 2002, 07:19 PM
COMPUCOLIN
Scooby Regular

Can a bleed valve (or bleed of some kind that controls the wastegate) be put in place so that it is not noticeable to insurance companies (ie, plumbed in under something, or small hole in pipe, etc) and that can be removed in an instant before its services or repaired under warrenty ?
Old 25 January 2002, 07:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is dodgy Compucolin. You could risk it but I never would. Declare it all.