Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2008, 12:10 AM
STi-V4
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual

Hi all been a member for a while but not really posting, Anyway im back on the scence just after buying a legacy gt-b Auto Anyway im looking to turn it to manual and im wondering if it hard to.. the car year 1997,, So just wondering can anyone give me some info as to what parts are compatable and what are not,, should i be looking for a pull or push type clutch.. I have an sti flywheel in the garrage from my prevous car which was a version 5 sti will it be of any use?/. Any help much appreciated ..
Cheers
Tris
Old 12 January 2008, 08:47 AM
philbr
Scooby Regular

i believe apart from the rear prop maybe being longer(legacy longer) most parts are interchangeable, personally i'd stick with the auto (i've got one, see my scooby) the only real limiting factors compared to manual are less top speed (only 4 gears) so 'only' 140 mph compared to manual 155mph ish and obviously a manual better for track use.
remember (you probably already know) your gonna neeed gearbox, pedal box, clutch master, maybe different centre dif (if you dccd for instance) and maybe other gubbins.
good luck with conversion (might be cheaper to sell auto and buy a manual)
cheers phil.
Old 12 January 2008, 08:25 PM
STi-V4
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your reply phill i though the same only i got this car very very cheap so i dont mind doing the conversion.. Just need a little pointer as to what box i should be getting. I could be wrong but i would imagine the box on an impreza would be the same ?
Old 12 January 2008, 10:11 PM
philbr
Scooby Regular

hi, yeah the basic running gear ,engine ,gearbox etc is exactly the same. i believe all classic impreza turbo gearbox's to be the same, just transfer box/dif's could be different ratio's , remember they rallied legacy's before impreza so impreza is actually based on legacy!
if you can find the bit's cheap enough should be fairly straight forward swap, good luck again, phil.
Old 20 January 2008, 09:21 AM
farmerpete
Scooby Newbie

Hi
Im not sure if you have the same models as us in Kiwiland but the GTB autos have smaller turbos then the manuels so I wouldn't worry bout it