Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

New clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2008, 09:56 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch slipping

My MY99 Impreza was remapped by AndyF late October to 320bhp and as expected, the clutch started slipping after 2 weeks.

So off I went to my local garage (who is reputable in my area. Rally prep/track cars etc) and an Exedy clutch was fitted.

They told me it was Exedy's version of a standard clutch and sent me on my way.

7 weeks later the clutch started slipping and back it went to have another fitted under warranty.

Now, my mates bugeye, which was remapped roughly the same time as mine, to the same torque and also had to have a new clutch fitted at roughly the same time as mine, is starting to slip again.

Both cars were fitted with skimmed flywheels NOT new ones, could this be the problem?

I was under the impression that a standard clutch could take this power easily.

So basically, is it,
Crappy clutches
Skimmed flywheels
Garage fault

Your thoughts much appreciated
Old 11 January 2008, 05:53 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What torque is it producing, this would be the deciding factor,
I would go for the Exedy organic uprated if you have that power, was the friction plate worn to the rivets?
If not, it could just be slipping, due to not enough clamping force from the pressure plate.

Gear box next me thinks.
Old 11 January 2008, 06:07 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

The torque is 320lbs/ft.
Im thinking about selling my turbo and gearbox before is explodes and going for a paddle clutch, P1 box and bigger turbo. All depends if/when it goes again
Old 11 January 2008, 07:34 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For a Classic or newage WRX it's the same 230mm clutch but the standard exedy clutch kit (in silver box) is OK up to 280 Bhp OEM 230mm clutch is Ok to 300bhp IMHO

As not that much difference in the Price most fit the uprated kit in the (pink box) 380 Bhp

Speak to David at APi he is very knowledgable af testing a variaty of Exedy cluches
Old 11 January 2008, 07:53 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

One of the locals had exactly this problem with a so-called Exedy clutch fitted by a numpty local garage....
It was rubbish and lasted weeks.... he had to go to Scoobyclinic for it to be done properly....

Not saying that the up-rated stuff isn't excellent, but so many cars are modded now, the standard spec. isn't much use ! IMHO... careful !

Dunx
Old 11 January 2008, 08:32 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I bought my Exedy uprated clutch from API and I'm sure he rates them at 400/400 but I may be wrong. The clutch has been faultless for 2 years @ approx 300 pounds of torque. It is lighter than the oe one that failed, even the wife can drive it with no problems.......never juddered once.

Have you checked that your slave cylinder ? it may be worn. What happens is fluid gets behind the piston and stops the clutch from fully engaging. Andy F showed me this problem when he mapped my car. I had no clutch slip until we started turning the boost up and then it slipped like mad.....on a new clutch. He just undid the bleed nipple and that fixed it for the day. A new fixed it for good..just a thought.
Old 11 January 2008, 10:19 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off it is torque and NOT bhp that kills clutches.
It sounds like you have the standard Exedy but what you need is the UPRATED version.
Do not go for the paddle clutch. If it is fierce it will shock your transmission and goose your gearbox in next to no time.
There is a little trick just to give you a little bit of margin and that is to machine 1 or 2 mm off the outside circumference of your flywheel exactly where the pressure plate sits on the flywheel.
the effect of this is that the clamp pressure is increased and improved clamp pressure is what you need for improved torque.
With increased torque, clutches will slip, not because the clutch plate is worn but because the clamping pressure is insufficient.
Old 20 January 2008, 08:51 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Well thats clutch number two starting to slip now.
Where is the best place to buy an uprated Exedy clutch, preferably the one in the pink box and how much should this one cost?

Ideally I'm looking for one which will withstand 380bhp with similar torque as i'm planning on changing the 'box to a V5 Sti/P1 number and fitting another turbo in the future.
Old 20 January 2008, 09:24 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by weeebell
Well thats clutch number two starting to slip now.
Where is the best place to buy an uprated Exedy clutch, preferably the one in the pink box and how much should this one cost?

Ideally I'm looking for one which will withstand 380bhp with similar torque as i'm planning on changing the 'box to a V5 Sti/P1 number and fitting another turbo in the future.
Call me Monday, l'll sort you [ & your mate ] out. Mini group buy if you like.

David APi
Old 20 January 2008, 09:25 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by weeebell
The torque is 320lbs/ft.
Im thinking about selling my turbo and gearbox before is explodes and going for a paddle clutch, P1 box and bigger turbo. All depends if/when it goes again
No need for all this What you have is already adequate. OR will have if you buy my clutch.......

David APi