Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2007, 10:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Gearbox Oil

Is this suitable for the Gearbox and Rear Diff?

http://www.fuchs-oil.com/uploads/pics/gear_hyp_01.jpg

TITAN GEAR HYP
SAE 80
SAE 90

Hypoid gear oil for highly stressed gearboxes in motor vehicles, especially for axles that require an API GL-5 oil.

API GL-5
MB 235.0
ZF TE-ML 05A, 07A 12A, 16C, 17B
MAN 342 N

It's £9:65 for 4 Litres and I'm tempted ........
Old 04 November 2007, 04:25 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

The normal recommendation is 75w/90 to GL4/5 spec. although the handbook is ok with sae80
That Titan stuff, especially at that price, looks to be very basic non multigrade, mineral fluid. As it's to GL5 spec. it should be ok although it could make the gearbox (assuming the 80 variety) a bit slugish when cold. I would feel better about using the 90 grade in the rear diff., though. As it's only once every 30k I would feel easier using a better quality, semi-synthetic fluid.
JohnD
Old 04 November 2007, 04:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cheers JohnD, I appreciate your input.

The gearbox oil is 3.5 Litres and the Diff is 0.8 Litres .... so, my thinking was - put this Oil in my Gearbox and some Syntrax stuff in the Diff, maybe?

I am pretty sure the price is really low just because my source for oil has good prices - my Engine Oil is £12:99 for 5 Litres ...... usual price online is £23:99, discounted to £19:99 - Oilman doing a members rate at £15:99 he tells me.

So the place is just not making the profit that others are - hence I don't think it is a 'cheap' crappy oil just because the price is very low as all the prices are low
Old 04 November 2007, 06:59 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I would do it the other way round and put Syntrax in the gearbox but that will be expensive!
I'm sure it's not "crappy" and the GL5 spec. proves it's suitability, it's just that there are more capable fluids available, even in the Titan range? - but at a higher price (worth it, in my opinion)
Putting say, Syntrax in the box will be the equivalent of something like £1 per 1000 miles not exactly bank breaking really?
JohnD
Old 04 November 2007, 09:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Point taken JohnD - I'll have a little look around see whats available.

My car is far from being driven like a Rally car ..... I rarely go over 3000 RPM, but do have a 'play' now and again
Old 06 November 2007, 10:46 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also note the quality of the gearchange is affected by differing oils, so considering Syntrax is the best in this respect - I'd be looking for a 75w90 semi synth.
Old 06 November 2007, 12:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Would I really notice the difference?
Old 06 November 2007, 04:22 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I had Subaru oil in my gearbox (not sure what that was) and then went to RCMS who use the Silkolene Silktran synth oil, and yes i noticed the difference in the gearbox. I too dont rally drive but even normal driving i noticed the change. Synth oil is better from cold BUT i am led into wanting to try the Castrol Syntrax next time, then i will have a true comparison as a test.
Old 06 November 2007, 08:55 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i started to get a slight crunch changing from 4th to 5th on a 6 speed thought i,d try changeing the oil before paying out on a box build,put in some silkolene silktan and it made it even worse! changed again to castrol syntrax and the problem seems to have gone away no more crunches(for now anyway) i,d definatley recomend using syntrax worth every penny!
Old 06 November 2007, 09:11 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i am not sure if i get crunches or i have just been swayed by many posts on here, but i could tell a difference and a few times a day, without any force from me at the time, it just seems to slam/crunch into 1st which is bloody annoying. More annoying is i cannot remember if it used to do that before the oil change. LOL.
I am gonna try Syntrax though.
Old 06 November 2007, 10:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti.dean
i started to get a slight crunch changing from 4th to 5th on a 6 speed thought i,d try changeing the oil before paying out on a box build,put in some silkolene silktan and it made it even worse! changed again to castrol syntrax and the problem seems to have gone away no more crunches(for now anyway) i,d definatley recomend using syntrax worth every penny!
You just found out what quite a few of us found out 4 or 5 years ago, mate!

JohnD
Old 06 November 2007, 10:20 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Would I really notice the difference?
Between Syntrax and and a straight 80 grade mineral fluid? Probably, yes, but you'll never know because you're not going to try both, are you!
JohnD
Old 07 November 2007, 09:05 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

How much is Syntrax?

I daren't look ....... I seem to remember that it could have been as high as £40 for 4 Litres?

If, indeed, I would never have noticed any difference? But, as JohnD says - only one will go in the box (unless in clearly makes it worse!) then it would be drained.
Old 08 November 2007, 06:27 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

How much is Syntrax?

I daren't look ....... I seem to remember that it could have been as high as £40 for 4 Litres?

If, indeed, I would never have noticed any difference? But, as JohnD says - only one will go in the box (unless in clearly makes it worse!) then it would be drained.
I dont know if your interested but im trying to get a group buy going on Syntrax:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ml#post7395275

its with Opie Oils
Old 09 November 2007, 08:53 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ayde
I dont know if your interested but im trying to get a group buy going on Syntrax:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ml#post7395275

its with Opie Oils
If you could get actual figures from Guy on the discount, per XX litres say, then people would know what they are signing up for.

Lets say it's 10% if 20 Litres are bought - 25% for 50 litres Plus ... everyone would know what they would be looking at. Maybe if you get a group order of 250 litres it may end up FREE
Old 13 November 2007, 10:09 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

I have a 6 speed and have used syntrax, motul fully synthetic, shell semi synthetic and sylkolene sylktran. The shell and motul oils are not bad, but I found the castrol syntrax to give the best gearchange, particularly from cold. If you look at the specs for these oils the castrol has the lowest cold viscosity which may explain why. the sylkolene has the highest, I would not use this oil again because it was difficult to get in to gear when cold and not much easier when warm.

Pete, I thought I read on a thread a while back you were going to use comma oil or was that 30k ago ?

That 'low cost' oil may not turn out to be very cost effective if it isn't much kop and you end up having to drain it out and put something else in, go with the syntrax, it will be fine, and you will only have to do it once.
Old 13 November 2007, 10:37 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

vote here for castrol syntrax,my 6 speed was crunchin from 4th to 5th had the red lone shockproof oil and gear changes was rough in the mornin put some castrol in the weekend £10.99 a litre from halfords the difference really is night and day dont believe its fixed the problem but not got it to crunch (if crunch at all)like it was with the other oils in.
Old 13 November 2007, 10:42 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Default possible group buy

i have put my name down for some more as i plan to change the gear oil again in 6 month cos that redline stuff really is a f..ker to get out

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ml#post7408848
Old 13 November 2007, 11:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Well, I thank you for your comments .... I asked about the above oil as it seemed good value.
Old 14 November 2007, 12:07 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

If you could get actual figures from Guy on the discount, per XX litres say, then people would know what they are signing up for.

Lets say it's 10% if 20 Litres are bought - 25% for 50 litres Plus ... everyone would know what they would be looking at. Maybe if you get a group order of 250 litres it may end up FREE
Trust me im trying there are ten people on the list now and I have emailed him a couple of times to try and get him to give a price, would make things alot easier if people knew what the price is
Old 14 November 2007, 09:09 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It's a chicken and egg situation ..... he doesn't want to declare his bulk prices too early and people on here don't want to commit to buy without knowing what the price is.

The customer is king, so the price should be made clear first - then people will pile in if it's attractive ...... the higher the number, the bigger the discount.
Old 15 November 2007, 11:50 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

It's a chicken and egg situation ..... he doesn't want to declare his bulk prices too early and people on here don't want to commit to buy without knowing what the price is.

The customer is king, so the price should be made clear first - then people will pile in if it's attractive ...... the higher the number, the bigger the discount.
Here is the group buy price, not a bad saving considering the stuff costs £10+ usually.

Hi

I am prepared to do it at trade which is £5.50 each plus vat

I will need a nominal carriage charge if these are going to be sent to more than a single address of £5.99 for up to 10kg per order.

All will need to call me to order as these prices are not available on my website

Regards
Guy

See the group buy thread if interested
Old 18 November 2007, 07:55 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Interesting to see people disappointed with Silkolene Silktran Syn5; I have also been extremely disappointed with it compared to Castrol Syntrax. I was aiming to improve the gear change by the switch to fully synthetic Silkolene, but instead it made 2nd very stiff when cold and 3rd notchy hot or cold so I'm giving up on it. The oil really does make a big difference to g/box feel, I was shocked by how much.

I'm tempted to try Castrol's fully synthetic SMX-S or Motulgear. Have also heard good things about Valvolene Synpower 75W90 which I believe is also a bit cheaper - anyone know where to get this?