Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

hks headers/equal length headers

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2001, 12:21 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i remember having this discussion a while ago, but as search is not using i cannot find it..

why are they a bad thing again?
Old 30 December 2001, 02:16 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Christian,

A couple of things:

1. I don't *think* that HKS make equal length headers, just very nice Un-Equal length headers.

2. Assuming you mean Equal length headers, they are not a "bad" or "good" thing, just different.

As I understand it, generally speaking, ELH's will give you a bit more power ( "Good Thing" ), but, rather than having four torque pulses, you will have one bigger one, but it will be higher up the rev range.

What this means to you depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want the best possible "drivable" car for road use, I would argue that ELH's are not the way to go. If, you do loads of trackdays and peak power is your ultimate aim then they probably are.......you pays your money and you makes your choice

Matt

P.S. Ready and waiting to be shot down in flames
Old 30 December 2001, 10:42 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

....and they cost a lot of money - have you gasflowed your standard headers - this made a significant difference to my car - at a fraction of the cost!

Trout
Old 30 December 2001, 06:27 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

imo they're not a bad thing at all.... they're just expensive and cause u to lose the nice exhaust note

however, u will get really good gains with them, esp if u get bigger injectors and remap

my standard headers are ported & flowed... id definitely recommend that approach instead. depends what u want from the car though
Old 31 December 2001, 12:12 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Trout & Milo,

If you both ported your standard headers then you still have (better flowing) un-equal length headers then yes(?)

After fixing the mapping, what kind of gains have you seen? Faster spool up? Spool up at lower revs? Pulls harder? Less drop off at the top end?

Whilst I can agree that porting the OE headers is loads cheaper, the standard headers are minging and I would be tempted to buy some decent ones if I was going to bother to do the porting.....having said that, porting the OE headers is a very nice "stealth" mod

Matt
Old 31 December 2001, 04:52 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

hi matt...

yep - better flowing standard un-equal length headers is correct. thats exactly what i wanted as i was after keeping the sound of the car

while i agree that the standard headers are minging, its about half a days work vs. a four figure sum for the aftermarket headers. a total no contest for me and my wallet
Old 31 December 2001, 08:20 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

I fitted the HKS Headers to my scoob, and gained a bit more power than just porting the originals would have done.

But they certainly helped the throttle response, and really help power at the top end, so much so that my car now has it's power peak somewhere beyond the rev limiter (7k rpm, UK spec engine)

Torque has not been adversly affected either.

The exhaust note does change, there's still the familure woofle, but it isn't quite so strong, overall it really depends on the rest of your system. Mine is based on an HKS Hiper Muffler and S/S downpipe, giving a fairly flat but brutle noise to 4k rpm then all hell breaks loose and it goes all manic Porsche 911 Turbo/Honda V-Tec! I really like it

I'm very pleased with the results, plus they were nothing like a 4 figure sum, mail me offline if you want to know more