Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2001, 09:14 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Weird thing happened last night.

My car has an HKS EVC boost controller set to 1.3 bar with 0.05 bar extra on scramble boost.
Normally it hits 1.3 bar spot on every time.

Last night I went to the jet wash and cleaned all the filth off my car (only cleaned it Sunday) and I blasted the bonnet and around the scoop.

Set off, few miles up the road, pulled out to overtake a dawdling Saxo and JESUS!

I thought, that felt quick! So, nailed it again 1.45 bar!!!

I'd made no adjustments to anything, so further up the road 1.45 bar again. After about 3 or 4 spurts, boost returned to normal

I can only guess that the cold jetwash water on the intercooler cooled it enough to act like a waterspray, but I thought that just prevented boost from falling off, not gave you more!

I've read before that waterspray works best if it triggers BEFORE
the boost event, so is this what caused my neck snapping surge towards the horizon?

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
Rich
Old 19 December 2001, 10:38 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Yes that is what caused it. When I had my Blitz DSBC installed I had mine set on 1.3 bar also. And 1.3 is where it was peaking, however on the cold morning the next day after, I too hit 1.45bar without touching anything. Then after a few hits it went back to normal. I asked my mechanic and he said it was due to the cold morning, plus it was the first blast I gave it so the motor was cooler. I then set my boost controller to 1.2 bar and now on a cold morning can peak to around 1.25 bar which is much safer.

In summer it drops to 1.105 to 1.15 but I don't raise it coz I believe it drops for a purpose, that's what it can handle safely without detting. Leaving it on 1.2 means I don't have to adjust for winter or summer.

So I believe that the water did cause your boost to raise, plus the cold evening and it was your first few blasts.

Actually the above should read in Kg/cm2 not bar, coz my gauge and boost controller show in Kg/cm2.

1 kg/cm2 = 0.98 bar, so the bar figures should be a little lower.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 19 December 2001, 10:54 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Cheers Wrexy,

That explains why my boost gauge and EVC are mismatched then!

Thought it was just a calibration thing.

My boost gauge is in bar and that read 1.45. The EVC is situated where I can't read it on the move without crashing, especially at 1.45 bar!!!

Rich