Surging, but not between 2-3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2001, 05:55 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi all,

Driving home tonight I noticed my MY99 was surging when accelerating in 4th gear right up through the revs. This is different to the hestitaion a lot of people have noticed ( my car has always done it when cold, on light throttle ).
The car still accelerates briskly but it feels as though the fuel is pulsing, just like lifting your foot off the throttle.
The car is standard cept for a SS downpipe and ITG filter, and those have been on for several months.

Any ideas out there ??

Regards
Lambo

PS. Car had a new clutch last week under warranty ( 22k miles ) but surely that wouldn't effect it as long as the dealers connected all the wire back up properly....
Old 13 December 2001, 09:53 AM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Question

I've been looking through some of the other threads and my problems shows all the symptoms of a blocked Boost solenoid.

As its too much hassle to go back to the dealers again ( been there four times in the last 6 weeks ) I thought I would have a go at cleaning it myself.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on what to do. I see someone mentioned connecting the solenoid to 12v to open it up for easier cleaning but how do I go about doing this without burning it out...

Cheers
Old 13 December 2001, 11:49 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

There are some green wires behind the dash that can be used but I could never locate them on my car. I have cleaned mine out by removing it from the inner wing, blasting it with brake cleaner a few times making sure it's full, spraying some more down all the pipes, connecting back up then going for a spin.

The problem on mine was caused because the oil level was too high. I now run it half way between the 2 marks on the dipstick and have had no more problems. 4.5 litres takes it to there on an oil and filter change. You need to check this as if it is too high then the problem will recur.

When I had this problem it was the lower revs that suffered most and not what you have described. Have you had a diagnostic check done ?

Ken
Old 13 December 2001, 01:40 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Ken, I'll try spraying it with stuff. I had a look by the offside suspension turret, there seem to be two gizmos there, one with a large pipe on it and another with several smaller pipes tucked under the alarm siren, both have an electrical connection, which one is it ?

I haven't taken it to the Subaru garage yet as I'm getting pi$$ed off at the amount of times I've been there in the last couple of months getting problems sorted out.

If cleaning it doesn't work I suppose I'll have to give them a call.

Old 14 December 2001, 05:22 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Lambo

not sure which it is on your MY, mine is a 95 so has a 3 port solenoid - not sure if yours is 2 port.

On my car it is a cylindrical metal thing with a pipe on the top and 2 pipes on the bottom, as well as an electrical connection.

I believe the other thing next to it is made of plastic, not sure what it is.

You might be able to find a picture somewhere if you do a search on wastegate solenoid or something.

Unless there's someone out there can send you a picture maybe ? I probably can get a picture from mine done over the weekend but don't know how similar it will be to yours due to the different model years.

Sorry I can't be a bit less vague.

Ken
Old 17 December 2001, 09:08 AM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Well I wasn't sure which bit was the solenoid but I cleaned both bits and pipes with brake cleaner and that seems to have done the trick.

Only problem I had was that the bracket holding the alarm siren fell in half and I had to weld it back together. I thought these Subarus were well built !!

Old 17 December 2001, 01:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Lambo, thats just those sigma alarms for you!!
I posted a thread about this problem a few days before you did, the car was on off on off on off type boost but only on hard (foot to floor) in gear at around 3.5-4k (suffered in 4th and 5th) for some miraculous reason she seems to have cured herself (duff fuel as i filled up then she played up??) havnt had that problem since! but conditions were cold and it was night time and am going to let the garage check the boost solenoid when shes in for her service this week

Tony
Old 18 December 2001, 10:42 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Question

Lambo,

I've been suffering boost problems recently with my '93 WRX. I've spoken to a dealer about it, and he has suggested the boost solenoid. However, I have also had the "check engine" light come on - did this occur in your case?

I've had several attempts at spraying in brake cleaner, but so far has made no difference.
Old 20 December 2001, 09:47 AM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Talking

DaveD

I didn't get the check engine light come on. My car was definately better after I cleaned the solenoid things, so the problem must be there somewhere, but its still doesn't seem to be giving full boost in 4th and 5th gears. I've got it booked in at the dealers sat morning for them to have a look at it.

I'll keep you posted....

Lambo

Old 20 December 2001, 08:29 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Lambo,

Thaks, but it looks like my problem may be ECU-related.

Had the boost solenoid, pressure switch solenoid and the MAP sensor all checked over today, and all appears to be fine - except the CHECK ENGINE light won't go out!!!!