Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Query: Switchable AWD/RWD Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 11:36 PM
Des Curly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Query: Switchable AWD/RWD Subaru?

Hello.

A query, on behalf of a mate. He (and I, now) would like to know people's thoughts on the possibility/feasibility of modifying a Forester GT or XT or an Impreza WRX Wagon so that it can be switched between being AWD and being RWD. An important point: this is only concerned with manuals, so anything specific to automatics is not useful.
Also, note that we're looking at a switchable (preferably in-cabin) idea, so the notion of swapping front drive-shafts or similar isn't so useful.

We are aware that the current STIs have an electronically controllable centre diff, but that would be well beyond the desired budget. However, if an STI centre diff can be retro-fitted, that would be acceptable. (If it can, how far back? Could it go on a late 90s, early 2000s model?)

I've since done more research, and it seems that the STI diff, the DCCD thing, only goes so far as to vary the F/R bias from 65/35 to 50/50 anyway, so perhaps (in standard form at least), this wouldn't be so useful anyway. (Still open to ideas though).

Are there any other tricks that can be done with the centre diff?
Could locking hubs be fitted to the fronts? (In the manner of many part-time 4WDs).

We're definitely open to creative ideas, but really only things that have *some* chance of being feasible.

Not sure if it matters, but if this project was undertaken, it would be done in the UK.
If all else fails, is anyone aware of any non-tank vehicles that are or can be AWD/RWD switchable that have the space of a wagon? (The Forester or Impreza wagon is the rough size of vehicle sought, so no Patrol/Cuiser/Jeep/Range Rover/etcs.) Something that has road-performance potential too.

We are fully aware that there's every possibility that there's no chance in hell that this could be done (on a reasonable budget), but the idea is being thrown out for comments nonetheless.

Thank-you all in advance.
Des

Last edited by Des Curly; 01 February 2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Removed irrelevant info.
Old 01 February 2007, 11:59 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

but wot would be the point exactly
Old 02 February 2007, 12:32 AM
Des Curly
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 34srm
but wot would be the point exactly
My mate would simply like a car that, when he desires (for example, on a track day or a day at the skidpans), behaves like a RWD, but can also behave like a nice, safe (e.g, gravel-happy) AWD, all with the practicality of a wagon.
Old 02 February 2007, 01:14 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

you or ya mate not got scoob have you, (nice safe awd) ha ha ha ha
Old 02 February 2007, 01:30 AM
Des Curly
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 34srm
you or ya mate not got scoob have you, (nice safe awd) ha ha ha ha
I'm new to the game, yes, but I drive a MY99 Forester GT. No car, no matter how "smart" will stop a moron from having an accident, but (and correct me if I'm wrong), things like constant AWD do help avoid things like unintentional loss of control in certain conditions (e.g., gravel, wet, snow, ice, etc). Everything has its limits though.

And my mate, his current car is nice and safe and fuel efficient and not at all temperamental: Onevia K's, "mildly" modified.

Last edited by Des Curly; 02 February 2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05 February 2007, 12:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The closest thing you will get to that on a subaru is the DCCD which transfers power front/rear giving (model dependent) a 34 front 66 rear split (think thats right) but its only available on certain impreza's, mainly (classic) JDM STi type RA's and type R's and newage STI's (with auto setting) 2003 JDM STi's onward and euro/uk models from 2005.
Note that the DCCD models on classics remove the ABS because it cant work with ABS, on the new age with auto (A-DCCD) you have ABS.

Tony
Old 06 February 2007, 08:14 PM
bohnjegley
Scooby Regular

Hi Des, I asked this question before, there doesn't seem to be to many ideas. Though I did find a link to a American Scooby forum which will give you an idea of how involved it is. Read this thread and see what you think

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...ml#post5647247
Old 08 February 2007, 09:05 AM
stormsubaru
Scooby Newbie

it's too bad it doesn't have a system like the nissan skyline. some aftermarket co should make an electronic locking center diff kinda like a dccd but taking that next step.