Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Swap or modify

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2001, 01:17 AM
kurt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

For along time I' m reading the forums on Scoobynet and I can 't make out if I shoud swap my engine( standerd 218 Bhp belguim car MY00)to a STi (5 or 6)engine or do some modification to my standerd engine
I'll already do a few small modification as HKS exhaust system and K&N 57i kit but now I want to go a step further
If I take the way to modify my engine my concept is to change turbo to VF23 hybrid,remap ECU, Change Cam,Change Compleet Intercooler+bottum tubing Fuel pump and mayby bigger injectors
If i take the STi engine way I'll only change the ECU to A remap version,upgrade the Turbo to a Hybrid one and fuel pump
My desire is to get an engine that has an output around 300 Bhp and is driveble and a is reliable
I shall be grateful for you views and comments
Old 28 November 2001, 10:18 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

300bhp can be done on your engine quite easily.

there are a number of uk engines putting out this power, and some putting out another 40 to 50 bhp.

The problem is the internals. I wouldnt be comfortable running the pistons and rods much beyond 350bhp.

The sti engine will only differ from yours in that its heads will be able to handle 8000rpm and it has forged pistons already. The rods are the same so it still has low weakpoint.

If you want to mod this power use the standard engine it will save you fortunes. The turbo and ecu are the key.

If you are prepared to change engine internals (costly) you definitely need not start with an sti engine, as you will throw out a few of the sti bits anyway. Uprating standard internals you should be capable of 400bhp with strong mapping.
Old 28 November 2001, 01:16 PM
hrubago
Scooby Regular

O.K. I think the same. Maybe the gearbox and diffs are diferent then standard used in GT. I heard that if you will improve bhp youn can crash standard gearbox (broken gearbox is most common problems in Czech Rep.). Has the STi geaorbox only different ratios or is more crash - resistant?
(My first idea was for upgrading with STi engine too.....)