Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 10:17 PM
Mickqlhd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've just brought a LHD GT Impreza (1st one I've owned)Its only done about 8000 miles and only 18 months old but it appears to be suffering piston slap when the engine is cold. I have enquired at the local dealer they are aware of the problem but because its a parallel import they won't cover it with warranty but say that it should not harm the car if left alone. Has any one else had this problem any info would be gratfully received.
Old 18 November 2001, 10:38 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Welcome Mickqlhd,

Are you sure it's piston slap. Have a listen to this recording of piston slap, so that you are sure that's what it is. Piston slap is more rare on the MY99/00 cars than the MY97/98 cars.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.leslie/

A rego box MAY come up. Disregard and click later (I think it's later or similar)

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 18 November 2001, 11:17 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

as the proud owner of a piston slapping scoob(but not in a fortnight!),I have spoke to subaru tech on this a few times.

if it isnt the 97-98,its more likely to be either the timing belt needs replacing or the tensioner is letting it go loose.apparently acts exactly like slap.

good luck,
steve
Old 19 November 2001, 12:00 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My scoob (my00) is booked into the dealer in a week or so to have a cold-start noise checked out. Looking through previous posts on piston slap the sound's described as similar to a diesel engine, or even a helicopter-type noise, which isn't what mine sounds like.

The noise I hear seems to occur about once/twice per second on tickover and is a bit more 'crunchy'. I'm hoping it's just timing belt/tensioner related. Does this type of noise sound familiar to anyone?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I thought I'd ask the question while we have a few experts together in one place

Whip