Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch Release Bearing or Slave Cylinder? (MX-5)

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 04:31 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Release Bearing or Slave Cylinder? (MX-5)

Hi Guys,

Apologies for posting in this forum, but in truth the problem is a generic clutch problem even though in this instance it relates to my JDM MX-5 which I've re-exported to Spain where I now live.

Basically, I got into the car yesterday and before starting I checked it was out of gear etc. and my foot went straight to the floor with the clutch. I could select gears with the engine off but upon starting up I couldn't until the engine got warm (though when I tried to force the car into gear the car crept forward even without actually being in gear...). I'd also been pumping the clutch.

I tried again today with the intention of going for a quick spin to see how the car felt but today I couldn't select a gear again once started. I could select a gear with engine off but not with the engine running though on one occasion I started with the car in gear and foot on the clutch and you guessed it...it jumped forward and stalled without me even lifting my foot.

Does anyone recognise the symptoms? I'd driven quite some considerable distance last week (Portugal and back - about 1200Km) without any problems but I have had occasional slip when wounding tight hairpins on hills (we live on a mountain.) Are we looking at a full clutch jobbie or just a slave cylinder (because of the pumping action and the fact I briefly regained a clutch of sorts yesterday)?

Any advice most gratefully received as parts here are a pain to source and my bruv visits next week so I can get him to bring a clutch/slave etc. over with him.

Cheers guys,

Russ
Old 27 September 2006, 07:09 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet is have a look at the slave cylinder and check its action when you push the pedal? If the rod goes in and out accurately then it's OK.
Old 27 September 2006, 09:23 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

MX5s are very reliable cars, I had one for 12 years with VERY few problems. One of the more notable of the long term problems is the clutch Slave cylinder failing. This happened to mine after about 10 years. I replaced the master and slave cylinders at the time.
The clutch slowly goes to the floor during driving, and finally you have no clutch at all.
Old 28 September 2006, 06:06 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys, I've taken the plunge and I've got my bruv to bring a clutch and new slave just to be sure for next week. Fingers crossed it's just the slave (labour costs) but the week I've just had suggests it's bound to be the clutch!

Fingers crossed!

Russ