Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi gearbox guna go bang AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2006, 08:15 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STi gearbox guna go bang AGAIN!!!!!

Hi Guys,

The story so far...

In January this year my gearbox (MY94 STi) chewed 3rd gear whilst taking it for its m.o.t (passed by the way !). So a local gearbox company re-built the box with a new 3rd/4th gearset at a cost of £1000 (including new clutch) not sure if thats expensive,but anyway there was a rattling noise coming from the gearbox when you where slowing down through the gears (loudest in 3rd).

So i returned the car back to them to check it out and they answer was its an exhaust manifold rattling . 6months later and only 2600miles later the gearbox chewed 3rd AGAIN so the car went back and the comment from the garage was that the car was producing over 400bhp and the box can't cope - amazing really cos ive only upgraded the i/c and de-cat the exhaust .

Anyway the box was repaired again and the garage wanted me to pay £450 for 3rd/4th gearset (still under parts/labour warranty) . Trading standards sorted it out after 4weeks without my scooby,now ive got my car back the same noise is there and its getting louder so from past experience the gearbox is guna go again - soon.

Im not going to take it back to that garage so ive decided to cut my losses and buy an second-hand one.
My question is which gearbox is the best to buy that will bolt straight onto my car and what price to pay??????

A top question to top guys!!!!!!

Help me out .
Old 24 July 2006, 10:23 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speak to David at API, What he doesn't know about scoob's isn't worth knowing.

Had a replacement box off them in January, Very happy