Old 11 July 2001, 10:34 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The whole piston replacement job does cost at least £4600

BOLLOX it does.....
and if you paid that good grief.....

I had the pistons replaced on my UK94 with Cosworth pistons as I holed one 18 months ago and it cost MUCH MUCH less than £4600. The engine was completely rebuilt after I holed mine as I didn't want to comprimise reliability again.

Just because an engine has had different pistons than the OEM stuff doesn't mean that it is in anyway comprimised. TO be honest I'm happier with my Cosworth pistons than the standard cast pistons in a UK engine.

As for wanting the car to goto a "good home", to be honest I would like mine to goto a "good home" as well. It's been pampered and cared for like nothing else I've ever owned. I've cherished it since the day I bought it and if the car has ever wanted anything its always had the best available.

I'd also like mine to go onto an owner similar to myself who appreciates the qualities of such a performance car as much as myself and looks after it well. In my opinion a "good home" would be someone who warms the engine up before opening up the taps, and lets it cool before switching off the engine. Someone who changes the oil frequently.....
Washes off the crud...
Someone who waxes the car...

BUT someone who also uses the car to its potential and uses its performance (where conditions allow) and doesn't just pootle round accumulating carbon build up

BS

[Edited by Blackscooby - 11/7/2001 10:46:10 AM]
Old 11 July 2001, 12:59 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Rich,

No for my sake please don't ! It'll only upset you and remind me of what I've blown on mine (in more than one sense!)

Sadly to make mine worse it was purely self inflicted

Cheers

Mark

PS Apologies to NickA for somewhat hyjacking your post.

[Edited by Blackscooby - 11/7/2001 1:01:16 PM]
Old 11 July 2001, 02:17 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

you guys can **** off.

For a start selling a car on this bbs is preaching to the converted.

The point of this place is to share the benefit of experience.

If something sounds iffy on a public forum there is nothing stopping us writing what we like.

I would like to think some people may have learned soemthing from this thread.

This is free advertising on a free voiced bbs after all and that means a seller is putting themselves up for scrutiny. Where does it say that a seller is exempt from others voicing their opinions.

It doesn't. Put it this way, if yopu had bought a duff car on this bbs and the signs were there you would be miffed if the educated hadn't spoken out. That is after all the purpose of this bbs.

get off your high horse or shut up.

[Edited by Adam M - 11/7/2001 3:24:00 PM]
Old 07 November 2001, 12:40 AM
richards
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy - it's just that I used to have an STi5 and most Scooby nuts know that Version 5 STis blow their pistons very easily, whether run in properly or not and even when always run on Super U/L. (They also have other traits like 'quick to wear' 5th gear synchros.)

So, for this seller to state that they have Cosworth Pistons - well, from experience, personal and knowing about numberous other situations, I can only guess that it was done because the engine blew sometime in the past. The whole piston replacement job does cost at least £4600 so I don't believe anyone when they say they did it just in case because they heard the pistons were weak or any other excuse.

That AND the fact that the seller says that they want the car to go to a good home can only suggest to me (again from my experience) that they want the next owner to treat the car very gently just in case it blows again.

Let's face it, STi5s are vulnerable so lets not hide that fact from newbies who don't necessarily know.

Andy, if you want to 'hide' this contentious and potentially 'expensive' piece of information again then be my guest, but I wouldn't like to be at the receiving end of the buyer when he comes back with a blown engine.

Just something to think about Andy when excercising the rights of censorship.

Richard.
Old 07 November 2001, 08:08 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Richard,

That's pure conjecture on your part. I'm considering Cosworth pistons for my car, does that naturally mean I've blown up my engine?

Is it your places to make such an allegation or slate other people's products when you do not know all the facts? (I apologise if you do!)

Surely the onus is on the perspective buyer to check that things are as they should be, be it a single copy of Evo to a brand new Evo!

Regards
Andy
Old 07 November 2001, 12:09 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Just to add, I did think it was funny that cosworth pistone meant it had 300bhp. Pistons alone will only make a idfference if they change the compression ratio, and if that is teh case I would like to see a remap to accomodate the change.

I would also like to point out, that it is fourth gear synchros on type rs which is supposedly dodgy not fifth and taht the standard pistons are forged items and have been rumoured to be able to handle 1.8 bar. It is the standard con rods which are the weak link not the pistons on an sti.

Blackscooby, I thought firefox was the only one insane enough to go internal on an engine for no other reason. Nice one. full credit to you.

£4600 is a hell of a lot of money, changing the pistons is however and engine out, heads off, block splitting job so it certainly isnt cheap. Bear in mind that decent uprated pistons cost £800 perhaps this figure includes the replaced components aswell?
Old 07 November 2001, 12:13 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Andy, I wasn't guessing! I was speaking from experience! You might be considering Cosworth Pistons for your car but when they cost as much as £4600 to incorporate (including configured UniChip, strengthened con-rods, etc.) then I don't think you could justify having them, can you, honestly?!

And again Andy, I am NOT making allegations or slating someone's products, I am stating my experiences. Yes, it may be in reply to a sale notice which may look like I'm being slanderous towards the seller but I am trying to help inexperienced buyers by just providing an account of my experiences. It is up to the seller to 'contest' that 'allegation' if indeed they thought they were being alleged. Innocent until proven guilty and all that...

What else is this BBS for? Do you have Scoobynet BBS 'mission statements' Andy?! If you did, they would probably say something like, "A forum to allow all Scooby drivers to swap information."

Andy, this BBS is for people to provide information. Like any information medium, it is up to the readers to satisfy whether the information is true or not.

It is (arguably) more honest to have more people giving infomation than for someone to selective censor information because what happens then is that it becomes the opinion of that moderator.

Andy, unless someone is swearing on the BBS, I don't think you have any right to delete member's posts, for the above reasons.

You are clearly working in the interests of the thread starter, i.e. the seller but you should also think about the potential buyers - their interests are just as important.

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 12:31 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Adam,

I should have said about the 'dodgy 5th gear synchros' that this was a real problem on the Type R and Type RA version 5 cars with the shorter gear ratios. It happened to me and at least three other Type R cars that I know of.

If you did a poll, I'm sure you'd find more...

Yes, Cosworth pistons are usually just what people put in the car when they needed replacement pistons for their blown-up Scooby because the prices of the original pistons would probably have been abhorrent!

Adam, my con rods did not suffer at all in my experiences - they were checked with a vernier scale, just one piston was 'holed' but I had to replace all the pistons and rods...

I agree Adam, remapping is the key to preventing piston damage. There were many cases of new cars blowing (and these are being run in!) which would suggest that UK petrol was just not good enough for STis.

I think it's safe to say that people with the Link ECU, etc. were having no such detonation problems. However, it is important that you witness the ECU being meticulously mapped to your car - bad mapping can be worse than no mapping at all! Just go to a trusted garage.

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 12:36 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Blackscooby,

BOLLOX to you too!

My piston replacement DID cost £4600 - I'll dig up the receipt and show you why it cost that much.

I don't bu11$hit.

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 12:43 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

**OUCH**

Adding all mine up it would have probably been somewhere close as well actually....

Just sounded a hell of a lot. But now I've sat down and thought about it I've just scared myself silly
Old 07 November 2001, 12:48 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Adam M ~ sadly I holed a piston due to "excessive boost" (at the time it ran OVER 25PSI ) Doesn't any more though !

The pistons cost me over £900, along with Group A head gaskets and other materials I think the parts came to about £1700. I can't remember the labour charge ~ but I thought it was quite low (comparitively) ~ but then I was desparate and needed it fixing.

I now run about 1.3bar(18 PSI ?) controlled with an Apexi boost controller and Fuel Controller.

All in all, holing a piston was a VERY expensive and possibly needless thing to do (due to my stupidity ~ and not knowing what I know now).

BS

Old 07 November 2001, 12:51 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Richards,

no one doubts what you paid, we are just saying in futuer you should hunt around and you will get it cheaper.

Saying that it sounds like the car has been properly sorted.

My reference to the conrods being weaker is from a point of view of tuning, in that when raising the boost the rods are the limiting factor. When we are talking det, I don't doubt the pistons (even forged sti versions) are likely to let go.

I must admit I was probably equally sceptical when I saw what was written. I suppose it is our duty as informed members to protect newbies, but your actions although honest are not being equally fair on both parties. However valid what you say is, it is cast in suchj as way as to reflect badly on the seller. Perhaps asking questions first in order to obtain answers would be more constructive?

Not having a go as I agree with all teh things you say.

ps. Hvaing had my fourth gear synchro replaced onmy own type r, I was told by the gearbox rebuilder, taht this was the most likely to go. It would appear fourth and fifth are equally bad.

Old 07 November 2001, 12:53 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Blackscooby,

Yes, it is scary isn't it?! I couldn't believe it too when they said £4600! I thought, what do you think, I'm made of money or something?!

It's just a horrendous amount of money to be spending on repairing the car and you're made to feel like it's a performance improvement. To be honest, when that happened, I just wanted rid of the car...

That's why this post struck a nerve with me! I've been through a little financial trauma when the piston blew on the scooby and I can't hide my feelings about it!

But before that happened, my STi Version 5, Type R, V-Ltd was the fastest car out there - just so awesome - it was shaming everything on the road, one notable situation was a Porsche 996 who just couldn't keep up on a straight (safe) high speed run...

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent now...

Rich.
P.S. So Blackscooby, do I need to dig up that receipt now? (I think I will anyway!)
Old 07 November 2001, 01:10 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Thanks Adam, I think you and I are thinking along the same lines too.

And apologies if anyone thinks I'm being slanderous towards the seller of this car. I don't even know the person, I have no reason to do this. But as I have said already, I am just relaying my experiences to the Scooby public.

If an STi has had Cosworth Pistons installed and have had all the ECU work done properly (and got an uprated fuel pump too) then there's no reason why that car was any worse than an unmodified STi. I think it's the Link ECU system that allows the driver to see in the cabin if detonation is occuring - that would really put my mind at rest.

Adam, I don't have the Scooby anymore so sadly, I can't report what the state of the car is in now. But I have to say the car felt different after the repair - the pistons displaced a larger volume which affected the Turbo in such a way that it kept on overboosting. A different turbo housing was put on the stop the overboosting but that just made the turbo response more lethargic. There was no other way of stopping the overboosting, electronic or otherwise. I just didn't like the feel of the 'new car'.

So, it had to go...

Nevermind, it was an experience...

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 02:39 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Well put Adam. Just what I thought.

This IS a public forum NOT Autotrader so whoever thinks you can place an 'iffy' ad and not have some feedback whether it's positive or not is just dreaming.

Mr.Bush, from your Scoobynet joining date, it looks like you're very much a Scooby Newbie so I don't really think you can be so 'authoritative', when it comes to scooby matters?

Mr.Bush, why do you "find this kind of s##te annoying"? Do you have anything to hide? I also find that people who swear are insecure but wait, that's my opinion only, it doesn't mean it's true for you too.

Anyway, I don't understand why I should "go through the Autotrader and pick holes in the cars in there" - what's the point of that? I've already said lots of times that I was providing information about my experiences.

However, about the local car dealer thing - yes, actually, I do scrutinise used cars - and they love it! Sometimes anyway. That's their job - to deal with customers!

Finally Mr.Bush, you can talk - you don't seem to be doing so well 'selling' to the American people at the moment do you?

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 02:58 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

How can you possibly quanitfy someones knowledge of scoobs based on how long they have been a member of this BBS. I have never heard so much sh1te yet!!!!

Tango, everyone has made fairly valid points on the subject but dont you think this should now be moved to Drivetrain??? And can you replace NickA's advert. It was his first post and has subsequently had his car questioned and his integrety tainted, for all we know unfairly!

Old 07 November 2001, 03:01 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

So,
Your knowledge of scoobys is down to how many posts you have made - pathetic. I have read this board since it started. I only felt the need to register recently because it's only recently so many idiots have come on board. I also find it very useful for advice and opinions. Perhaps because I have a life I don't feel the need to hijack threads to spread my obviously vast knowledge with others or maybe its because I have better things to do.

Also please forgive me for swearing it really is a dreadful f##ck#ng habit.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:02 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Get it into perspective Disco, it's just an indication of their Scooby knowledge.

I think the people on this thread are suitably intelligent enough to work that out.

Please don't just jump on board and mouth off like that - it doesn't look too good.

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:05 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Mr.Bush, how DARE you! Calling some of the patrons of this community, IDIOTS!

Well, well, we'll have to see what the administration say about this...

Are you ready to stand down?

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:09 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

If Bin Liner gets me I'll be dead anyway - living on borrowed time
Old 07 November 2001, 03:13 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry mate but I dont really care whether it looks good or not, I'm just trying to defend people. I dont think you have the right to question NickA's integrety nor to doubt anyones knowledge based on how long they have been registered!

I do think the points you raise are vaild and informative but would be better discussed more subtly in drivetrain.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:15 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Yup, the guy is a gonner! Can you believe he'll be on-the-run from now on - what a complete waste of life - worrying like that 24/7! C

Can't go to the supermarket or trackdays ever again! (not that they're related in any way)

Rich :O
Old 07 November 2001, 03:31 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Ok Disco,

After this post, I'm not going to say anymore on the subject.

You fail to remember that I was providing information to the community, which came directly from my experiences. I have already said several times that I was NOT "questioning NickA's integrety". In any case, this is a public forum and it is up to NickA to reply confirming or denying whether he had the same problem or not. That is all there was to it!!!

Do you think it's better that next time, people don't question ANY forsale ads - bearing in mind that this IS a PUBLIC FORUM!!!

Understand where you are Disco!

As to "doubting anyones knowledge based on how long they have been registered" - well, it was a knee-jerk reply to our esteemed Mr.Bush who 'swore' at me.

If you looked carefully at the context where all these statements were used Disco, you'll understand that they were NOT used in a totally negative respect.

Over and out!

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:49 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

richards, Blackscooby, Adam M, Andy Tang,
Hi guys. I was the Scooby Newbie that made the initial inquiry about the Type-R up for sale. I just want to thank you for all the information that you have all contributed to the thread. It's threads like this (hijacked or not) that give Scooby Newbies like me as much info as possible to decide what type of scooby to buy. I cannot decide which model to go for and at the moment have settled for a Type-R. I have heard loads of horror stories about every model of Impreza there is. I don't care I'm still getting one. Keep the info coming in.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 07 November 2001, 04:00 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Richards as mentioned in earlier posts...I dont have a problem with what you have said, and I appreciate that they are not in a totally negative respect. As Craigfin has just mentioned he has already learnt useful info from the discussion. I merely objected to the way and where you made your points. I am fully aware that this is a PUBLIC BBS, but I think you should have made your comments in Drivetrain, perhaps under a thread entitled 'Cosworth Pistons in an STI 5, Suspicious????' You know what I mean anyway. It certainly could have been done in a more tactful way with more more respect to NickA.

Old 07 November 2001, 04:14 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Anyone want to buy a MY99 STI V5 with Lada Riva pistons, forged titanium 2CV head, chocolate radiator, clear rear clusters and unused left handed screwdriver set.

Will through in tin of tartan paint to first bidder.
Old 07 November 2001, 04:19 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Yes Disco, I agree with you too - however 'innocent' our discussions, it couldn't fail to tarnish NickA's chances of selling his car, as it was within his thread. However, NickA should 'defend' his position.

However, even if we started a new forum in Drivetrain, I'm sure people would see that thread and put 2-and-2 and then there'd be complaints that others are indirectly slagging off a current forsale ad?!!!

You just can't win.

It seems like we can mutually exclusively only help Craig or NickA.

Rich.
Old 07 November 2001, 04:22 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

I am amazed I have no bids!!!!
Old 07 November 2001, 04:25 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Mr.Bush, now you ARE taking the mick, aren't you!

Rich

Quick Reply: WRX STI V5 Type R - For Sale