Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

may be salector gone?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 09:18 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default may be salector gone?

im having probs when changing from first to second. when i drive under 4k its fine but when i give the car a little stick, ( aboth 4k ) it grinds & seems quite hard to hit second. once in, its fine. with a lot of other cars ive been on, you can take the selector off & change it. but i dont now to much about these cars yet, im taking the box off anyway. so how hard if its posable is it to thange this part. as i said, when driving as i say normal, its fine. + the shafts are slightly loose. but no leacks. any advice would be good. keep in mind i always do the work my self, i never take to garages, to exspencive for what thay do! im even going to rebuild the engine my self....
Old 24 May 2006, 08:43 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Ive noticed exactly the same today, but going into 4th. My car is MY04 WRX with 12k on the clock. Any ideas ?
Old 24 May 2006, 10:05 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

with 12k, your cars just teething. my car on the other hand has 124k, what i would say. if i keeps doing it, have a word with subaru them selves. what sort of speed was/are you doing. as my car does it between 5k+ so. i may even go for a type ra box. there close ratio. so may run/seem quicker...
Old 30 May 2006, 12:08 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

it was actually much worse this weekend when I had a boot up to my mates house just south of glasgow. dropping into 4th at 4k+ (motorway speeds) prompted a short crunch as things engaged. I dont condone speeding, its not big and its not clever, but this car is built for quick acceleration and snappy changes (and sometimes you just get carried away). I'm gonna give the stealers a call and hear what they have to say.
Old 30 May 2006, 12:19 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it needs the synchros changing done so many now i don't care to count anymore
Old 30 May 2006, 03:20 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

is it a difficult job. the syncros are in a way the selectors. plus at the same time i might as well tighten the shafts to. where the drive shaft go in the box. is it an exspencive job... please get back.
Old 30 May 2006, 07:55 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dabow
with 12k, your cars just teething. my car on the other hand has 124k, what i would say. if i keeps doing it, have a word with subaru them selves. what sort of speed was/are you doing. as my car does it between 5k+ so. i may even go for a type ra box. there close ratio. so may run/seem quicker...
I own a type R and had this problem at about 38k miles, was a little notchy between 2-3 and 3-4 gears when i bought it, chatted to a 3 wellknown tuners who all said probably the synchro's, had it checked out by a well known garage down south, who stripped it down and replaced 2 + 3 synchros (although they said they said couldn't see anything wrong) and problem still persists 10K later???

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2006, 07:58 PM
scoobygez
Scooby Regular

you cant just shove a ra box in a uk car!! it will eat your diffs!!
Old 30 May 2006, 08:05 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

so is it best to get a new box or sort it out.
Old 01 June 2006, 08:22 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Before you do anything too drastic have you changed the gearbox oil?

Sounds a bit noddy, I know, but when I bought my MY98 the box felt notchy. After an oil change it was noticeably improved, and stayed that way.

It'd be a hell of a lot less work than dropping the box
Old 05 June 2006, 04:28 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

the Scoob went into the dealers today. they've done some exploratory work and determined it needs a new 4th gear and associated syncro and rings (?) I'm no techy so I didnt argue, and since all the work will be all done under warranty Ive got no complaints so far. Just to be on the safe side I also spoke to the technical guys at subaru uk who said its a bit rare but its plausible. they asked me to get back to them when the work had been done and I've done a few miles. I'm on holiday next week, so it will go in the week after. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05 June 2006, 04:36 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

ive check the box oil, but its fine. still dont make sence. i drove it all week, & if i change the gears under 4000k its fine.

if its not the syncros, what else could it be. its only from first to second...
Old 05 June 2006, 04:47 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

dunno mate, like I said, I only drive the things, but I'm sure there are some very clever guys on here who can probably tell you exactly whats wrong. I'd probably go at it with hammer and chisel, thats why it goes to a garage.
Old 05 June 2006, 05:27 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

im close to that my self. the problem is, it will cost me more to find out what whong as to find the problem its self. this is the other reson im on here with this isue. in my eyes, if it was the syncos, it would do it no matter the revs. still thanks for all the advice so far.