A question for APIDavid

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 04:57 PM
dr jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question for APIDavid

Hi David,

Wonder if you can offer me some of you vast subaru knowledge?

I recently purchaced a 02 STI uk PPP which seems to have a drone from the rear end on liftoff/overrun only seems to be present at 4000-3000rpm it sounds similar to the exhaust tone but i am unsure. Also if i dip the clutch the noise disappears
Do you know if this is common feature or possibly looking at something more costly?

Many thanks
Old 14 May 2006, 10:14 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dr jim
Hi David,

Wonder if you can offer me some of you vast subaru knowledge?

I recently purchaced a 02 STI uk PPP which seems to have a drone from the rear end on liftoff/overrun only seems to be present at 4000-3000rpm it sounds similar to the exhaust tone but i am unsure. Also if i dip the clutch the noise disappears
Do you know if this is common feature or possibly looking at something more costly?

Many thanks
Hi ! The back end of STi 9 imports seems to suffer from various noises. Because I focus more on Imports I do not have much experience of the Uk variety. It may be that by dipping the clutch you take the drive load off the gearbox and diff on the overrun. Which would signify rear gearbox or axle bearing noise.

It's the sort of noise that needs a trained ear to listen to rather than guess over the ether. Can you vary it by leaning the car side to side at say 50 mph. Just turn a bit left then a bit right as if wiggling past a line of poles alternately. Listen carefully. If you can produce it you are testing the diff side bearings or the wheel bearings.

OR let your choice of 'expert' listen to it.

Good luck David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com