Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

P1 Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2001, 12:34 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have recently purchased a standard P1 and am having the time of my life!! I have driven quick cars before but this is just unbeleivable!

I am now considering modifying the car and was wondering what effect a full scoobysport exhaust and a new air filter would have on the Subaru manufacturers warranty?

Also, I am thinking about upgrading my brakes but the Prodrive kit seems a bit pricey, are there any cheaper alternatives which will do the job just as well?

Cheers

Si
Old 26 October 2001, 01:20 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

do a search for warranty issues.

try godspeed or hitec for cheap brakes, or call scoobymania for 330 mm ap 4 pot kit which is cheaper than the alcon.
Old 26 October 2001, 01:59 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

In fact, i would recommend getting sam elassars AP four pots from him for £500 plus your brakes!

Would be a great improvement.

Does anyone know if you can convert the 305 mm into the 330 mm kit after market?

Sorry I should have pasted link, but his thread for selling the brakes is in te private forum.
Old 26 October 2001, 02:25 PM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Si

I would stand corrected, a full exhaust system will invalidate your warranty and if you de-cat your car this can lead to detonation. I have a P1 and have added the Prodrive rear box which is supposed to make a small increase in power. I have also fitted a K+N Air Filter element and this is also suppose to give a little more bhp. With the both it may give you 10-12bhp.

Are you running your P1 on Super Unleaded or Optimax? if your not you should start doing so asap. I also use Millers Octane Booster with every fill up of Optimax giving c100RON which will give you increased performance as well.

How many miles have you done? I have done 8k and my P1 is still getting quicker in my opinion. I have the oil changed every 3k miles and have also had the gear oil changed once.

On the brakes I have the Prodrive/Alcon option which are excellent I wouldn't be able to advise you on another make as this is my first scooby.

I hope this helps, I've done a few other things and if you want to know about them please email me off line.

Cheers
Phil
Old 26 October 2001, 04:26 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Question

Phil

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Optimax and have been since I got the car a couple of weeks ago.

In relation to the exhaust I was looking for more noise, pops, bangs, etc. rather than a big improvement in perfomance.

My standard exhaust just does'nt sound that great. How much of an improvement did you get with the Prodrive backbox?

I have done about 7.5k miles and the car is being serviced next weekend so I could probably ask the dealer to fit the Prodrive backbox then if I decide to go for it.

Where can I get Millers Octane booster? Also if I want to mail you offline how do I get your e-mail address?

Thanks

Si
Old 26 October 2001, 04:35 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Si, you can normally get away with a scoobysport type back box, if you have a friendly dealer.

REplacing teh downpipe will lose you a cta making the car fail roadside emissions tests, and causing it to run lean. It will come along with a boost in performance.

I am sure there are some dealers who would turn a blind eye to this, but if there are any warranty claims, tey may be forced to reinstate your normal gear should IM send someone down to check.

Pops and bangs come from running rich on over run and unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust in the presence of oxygen (eg by the tail pipe) and burning. This is difficult to achieve with a cat in place as it will prevent unburnt fuel from escaping. Decatting will give you a substantial performance increase.

Brakes wise, do a search in the brakes forum, although I would hope I have already answered much of what you asked. On track these brakes make by far the largest contrribution to reducing laptimes and they look a lot better.

Octane booster choices are millers (scoobymania - cheap, or demon tweeks), silkolene proboost (scoobysport - not as cheap and cant rate it as never used it) or NF (new age motorsport - supposedly better and about the same price if not slightly less than millers).

I run NF in my car with optimax.
Old 26 October 2001, 04:46 PM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Si

If you want to email anyone of line, go to profile and you'll find my email address.

The Prodrive backbox sounds much better than the standard STi one that the car comes with. I would go for one when you get your service as when you pick it up it will sound much better.

Buy Millers from Scoobymania on 01159133199 and speak with Sean, you can buy 10 bottles for c£25 + delivery.

I would really love a replacement downpipe but I do care about my warranty, in 2.5 years time I might look at changing the whole system but not until then. Replacing the downpipe does give up an increase in both noise and power.

Cheers

Phil
Old 29 October 2001, 08:01 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmm......Warranty and exhaust systems.....try Robinsons of Rochdale, main Subaru dealer for over 15 years, they have on their parts wall a scoobysport back,middle and downpipe that the reccomend and still validate the warranties....just a thought

I shan't tell you what my P1 has on re; modifications....it scares me enough
Old 29 October 2001, 08:56 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

awwwww...go on Mellow. We all want to know what you've got
And is it reliable?

Medders