Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Air filters and induction kits?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2001, 12:58 PM
nick uk300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please can anbody advise me on the best panel filter to buy? also which induction kit works best on a scooby and why?

thanks to you all who reply, you all sound like a great bunch of enthusiasts

regards Nick xxxxx
Old 22 October 2001, 05:33 PM
Nigel R Smith
Scooby Regular

I am having the same problem as you every company says theirs is the best.So I have decided to go for the blitz induction kit it is stainless steel and hopefully will last longer and need less maintenance

Regards nigel
Old 22 October 2001, 06:39 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Welcome Nick!
As far as I know and you can see in the BBS, K&N 57i seems to be the best induction kit without MAF or other problems.
About panel filters I don't know for sure, do a search (there is in the right of your screen a search key), but don't expect gains from panel filters!
JIM
Old 22 October 2001, 06:39 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Nick, Nigel,

Some more info for you is available on Chiark's excellent site: http://www.chiark.com/scooby/kandn.asp

If your cars are MY99 onwards be very careful with fitting induction kits - some folk have had problems as Nick's site says.

Mine's a MY98 - fitted a K&N 57i kit on Sunday - sounds great, but no 'real world' testing yet as my other half's got the car while away for a couple of days!

Oh, and welcome to our world! We don't bite (often!)
Steve
Old 22 October 2001, 07:05 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Are there any problem associated with the 57i filters (needs to be oiled!) and the MAF? I am just curious as I need to change my panel filter to an induction filter and would appreciate some advice as well

Russell
Old 22 October 2001, 07:50 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

For a panel filter....I looked onto this in some depth, and came to the conclusion that ITG were the best. I Bought a K&N panel, but changed it soon after for an ITG....due to concerns about MAF problems. All said and done though, the K&N did seem very dry to me....I expected this not to be the case given what I read about them (alledgedly) leading to MAF failures on MY99-00 cars.

Happier with ITG panel though IMHO.....think it breathes better....though not convinced it filtrates as well as K&N (assume there must be a reasonably linear correlation there)

Don't know about induction kits....but believe the rampod/unipod one on the MRT website is very good. Andy Tang was selling one of these not so long ago.

Blitz kit is highly rated, but also heard reports of increased MAF probs when using this. I have decided to go with a Blitz stainless steel mesh induction kit myself, but will not be using this to replace ITG panel until I get my Link ECU mapped in by BRD....thus eliminating need for MAF anyway.
Old 22 October 2001, 08:04 PM
nick uk300
Scooby Regular

wow fantastic! thanks guys for all your help,it really is appreciated, and thanks Nigel for pointing me in the direction of the chiark site, that was agreat help.

What a great forum this is,respect to you all

Regards Nick
Old 22 October 2001, 08:07 PM
nick uk300
Scooby Regular

oops sorry steve thanks for the chiark web site, "I must get these specs changed"
Old 22 October 2001, 08:46 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

I`ve gone from a ITG panel(resonator removed) to the K&N57i kit, K&N sounds soooo much better, not convinced re:extra performance as the ITG had 11k on it when i changed over.

the APS cold air kit uses a K&N and would have been a better choice(though costs an extra £100)
Old 22 October 2001, 10:38 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I have the APS induction kit with the K&N filter and in over a year I can not say I have had any problems. There was a thread on this not long ago that the APS kit causes the engine to run lean at low revs. The symptoms are hesitation or misfire under 3000rpm.

Although I have had a little bit of hesitation on very rare occasions, I'm still not convinced that the APS kit is the cause. I think it is the usual MY99/00 hesitation problem. I had the car out this weekend giving it plenty of stick to test for misfire or hesitation but I did not cop this once. This is with the standard ECU, Blitz DSBC boost controller and a 5 Zigen exhaust catless mid and backbox.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 23 October 2001, 11:15 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Richi..... you went from ITG panel to a K&N induction fit...as I understand it?

Just to clarify you see....I found the ITG PANEL filter better than the K&N Panel Filter not the induction kit(I have no experience of this priduct). For the record I also run with the resonator removed.....and have had no adverse side effects, although I was fully aware alledged concerns about doing this (re water ingress mostly I believe).

The APS cool air intake is something I was hoping to try out in the future.

Old 23 October 2001, 01:40 PM
davecoombs
Scooby Regular

I use a HKS induction kit myself and have had no probs
Old 23 October 2001, 05:43 PM
Nigel R Smith
Scooby Regular

Question

After seeing the replys and the question of the MAF sensor I contacted racelogic today.

I got a reply from Alex Deardon in which he siad that he has not had this problem with uk spec cars, only imports!!!

Is the MAF sensor different on UK cars to imports??????

Nigel
Old 23 October 2001, 06:04 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nick,
It's probably worth casting your eye over the following.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=30133

The findings to date in summary seem to be:

- Makes great noise (or a noise depending on tastes)
- Can increase power up the range at the expense of low down

I also read somewhere that there were changes to the MY01 air intake plumbing that makes induction kits a bad idea so check this out first.

Old 23 October 2001, 06:14 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Not so far as I am aware.....but it is only an issue on newer cars (MY99 on I think) as they implement a new kind of 'hot film' MAF or something.....not my area of expertise though.

Old 23 October 2001, 07:20 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you have a MY01, I doubt an induction set will give any great advantages over the current set up. It has air rammed into it from the scoop at the front of the bonnet, so it feeds the engine with cold air. A good panel filter will let it get into the engine with a lower pressure drop i.e. faster.

Steve
Old 23 October 2001, 10:07 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

Question

Steve,
Thanks, I knew I had read something about the improved air intake on the MY01. Am I correct in thinking that an air induction kit on this model will effectively result in warm air being pulled in from under the bonnet, unless you rig up some plumbing to take the air from somewhere else.

Unless someone can correct me I would suggest that currently the best way forward for a MY01 is to use a good panel filter. This is also the approach that the PPP kit takes.