Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clunk when cornering - play found in driveshafts - help!

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2005, 06:45 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk when cornering - play found in driveshafts - help!

Calling all driveshaft experts! I've had a gradually more noticeable single loud clunk / knock coming from the N/S/F every time I turned hard right, and now it does it fairly often when turning left as well, even if cornering fairly gently. It's the weight transfer left to right that does it every time.

Just had it up on the ramps at my local backstreet garage and all the balljoints and suspension components seem fine, but there's what seems to be a LOT of play in the front driveshafts, the left hand one especially. I've posted on some other threads where people seem to have had the same problem, but they all seemed to tail off without a solution. So to avoid spamming all the other threads, I'll post here.

The N/S/F driveshaft has a green sleeve on the inboard end where it goes into the diff/gearbox. This seems to have a roll pin through the middle of it. Where it enters the diff there is a toothed collar which presumably you can knock round with a screwdriver to reveal the bearing. There is 3 or 4 mm 'in and out' play on the green part of the driveshaft, and at least the same 'up and down' play when wiggling it. The O/S driveshaft has a fair bit of play but not quite as bad. Questions:

1. Is this amount of play normal? The rear driveshafts don't move anything like as much.

2. Is this play what is causing the knock when turning right or left? i.e. the driveshaft sliding inwards or outwards on each turn?

3. Is it likely to be a problem inside the diff/gearbox assembly? Or can it be done by replacing a driveshaft, or a bearing, or something else with the car up on ramps? Could it just be solved by tightening up the toothed collar to get rid of the in and out play?

HELP!
Old 10 November 2005, 11:23 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Answered on your other post
Old 10 November 2005, 06:33 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
Answered on your other post
LOL now off to find my other post! Cheers!