Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Auto or Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2005, 01:16 AM
TheBaldConvict
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto or Manual

Ok, since the Legacy GT estate I bought 5 days ago turns out it's a hell of a lemon (undrivable now) it's being returned tomorrow. Now the dealer has a couple of 93 WRX manual estates and a 95 automatic.

I know that the auto comes with less power as standard, is that because the transmission is more fragile or something else?

What I want to do is do a few basic mods to get the car up to around 280BHP(ish) and basically need to know if the auto can cope with that sort of power?

Could do with knowing ASAP as will be test driving them tomorrow morn, seen all three in the flesh and other than a couple of paint blemishes on each they seem in good condition. Whats interesting me is the auto seems pretty much standard, has about 20k less miles at 46000 and is £1 less.

What do you guys reckon?
Old 13 August 2005, 08:21 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see there being a problem with the power handling of an auto box, there are a lot of high power cars about now with auto boxes. After having owned 3 different auto's now, I'm a big fan too. They seem to last longer, don't get the abuse of a manual box, and you don't have clutch plates to worry about. Oh, and you get more legroom in the footwell- good for long journeys!
My latest toy (UK 2000 Impreza turbo) is a manual, but for ease of driving, I still prefer the auto in my V6 Vectra. Might be a bit trickier with an auto and a turbo (turbo spool up lag) hacking around the twisties, so maybe a Tiptronic (basically an auto with switches) box would be the best of both worlds?