Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clacking from right rear wheel area? - plz look!

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2005, 02:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Clacking from right rear wheel area? - plz look!

Anyone got any ideas what this is. I think its getting worse and I don't want to drive the car if I'm damaging it.

I recently replaced the rear discs and pads and have noticed over the past 2 weeks a clacking sound coming from what I think is the right rear wheel assembly. I've been in a panic thinking I've damaged the rear diff by jacking the car from it. But I'm pretty sure its the wheel area.

The only thing I can think it is, is the handbrake shoes in the disc. When I fitted the rear discs I wasn't sure if I have adjusted the little wheel correctly.

Does anyone have anything on how to set up the rear adjustment? I've tried winding it all the way up and down without success and the noise seems to be getting worse.

Only thing I can do is wait till the weekend and take that side apart and see what has happened if anything.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful. Shes due a major service end of this month but can't wait that long till the garage can have a look at it.

Many thanks
Old 31 August 2005, 12:07 AM
surfer boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it may be the handbrake shoes rubbing. I had a light grinding noise when cornering and did the same as you. Eventually asked a garage and was told to tighten the handbrake shoe adjuster so that you can only just get the new disc on. This has pretty much stopped mine from rubbing, although was also told should improve once worn in but that it is a common issue - not sure how true that is though.