Dropping gearing??

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2005, 08:08 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping gearing??

All this talk of gearboxes has made me think about altering the gearing on my newage WRX...

Is it possible to alter the final drive ratio in much the same way as dropping the front tooth on a bike?

How far can you go? From what I can gather, gearboxes tend to be a compromise between acceleration and top speed. As I never go over 100mph, and never take the car on the motoway (got the wife's Furby vRS for that ), would it be possible to down gear the car to about 110mph flat out in fifth?

Is that close to a RA gearbox? How much difference would it make? Would it cost mega money?

I down geared my bike which made it feel like it had increased in capacity
Old 24 July 2005, 10:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The downside to downgearing is that you will spend more time changing gear, which will lose you time in a Subaru IMHO. If you are still on the stock turbo (which makes sense given never going over 100 mph IMHO) and rev limit then I think the stock gearbox is quite well matched. As your car is, 2nd and 3rd gear should be quite nice for acceleration, both with wide power bands.

I have the opposite problem, my gearing is way too short on a UK six speed, the first four gears are gone far too quickly, each gear lasting about 2 seconds. Way too manic, and I keep dreaming about autos, until I drive a normal car when the gears last forever and you are hardly ever changing, then an auto would feel way too lazy.
Old 25 July 2005, 05:32 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

What I don't like is having to drop down to second gear to overtake cars at about 40mph...

We have a section of dual carriageway which turns from a 40 to a national speed limit, I'm often finding myself having to drop down to second.

I suppose a remap/decat will cure the problem
Old 29 July 2005, 04:37 PM
ed_209
Scooby Regular

If you really want a auto I have a spare autobox from a JDM impreza Wrx with torque converter and difs.

Ed

Originally Posted by john banks
The downside to downgearing is that you will spend more time changing gear, which will lose you time in a Subaru IMHO. If you are still on the stock turbo (which makes sense given never going over 100 mph IMHO) and rev limit then I think the stock gearbox is quite well matched. As your car is, 2nd and 3rd gear should be quite nice for acceleration, both with wide power bands.

I have the opposite problem, my gearing is way too short on a UK six speed, the first four gears are gone far too quickly, each gear lasting about 2 seconds. Way too manic, and I keep dreaming about autos, until I drive a normal car when the gears last forever and you are hardly ever changing, then an auto would feel way too lazy.
Old 29 July 2005, 06:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ed, I would if there was a proven way to make them strong. Level Ten in the US will do stuff for them, but it is not practical sending gearboxes back and forth across the Atlantic I don't think.