clutch gone?????

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 06:38 PM
nicos
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry clutch gone?????

Hi
I have just bought my first impreza turbo (on friday) after saving for ages!!!!!!!
Its only an early 95 uk model,and on sat i was driving home and the clutch pedal stayed to the floor! drove the rest of the way changing gear with no clutch and trying not to stop! now i know a bit about cars but im no expert so i had a look and could see that the slave cylinder was leaking,so i got it off and the seal had split so i ordered a new one which arrived today,put it on and started to bleed it but the pedal just wasnt getting any better!!! then i noticed that the plate that it pushes against was all the way up and was not going back,its just loose, so am i right in saying the the clutch has gone? If so any idea how much it costs to get a new one fitted?
so after saving for god knows how long and only driving it for about 6 hours its going to be off the road for a good few months while i save up AGAIN!!!
Not a great start to scooby ownership!
Sorry for going on just gutted!!!!!

hope you can help
cheers
nicos
Old 12 July 2005, 07:34 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

sounds like the clutch ( thrust ) bearing retaining ring has come adrift i put thrust in brackets as its a pul clutch so the bearing pulls on the clutch cover fingers sounds like the gearbox out and have a look
Old 13 July 2005, 07:24 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biker could be right.

First though:

1 Is there a long spring on the clutch arm to the small bracket on the bell housing?
It is about 75mm long and 10 in diameter. Very common to loose these!
If one is missing get a new one off a dealer or even a good car parts shop. Try that first.

Have you bled the clutch with the piston fully clamped into the cylinder? This works wonders.
Check the frree play of the pedal, adjust to about 6 mm if you can. Pedal pushrod is adjustable.
If that all fails, box out, clutch off and reset the snap ring biker refers to. If this is all a bit daunting (and a box-out job is bloody awkward) search a like sounding thread on this section as someone else (welloilbeefhooked).
Someone here willing to do the task for £150. A bargain.

Good luck (been where you are now!)

Graham.

Last edited by 911; 13 July 2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 13 July 2005, 08:35 AM
rally colin
Scooby Regular

If you need any advise feel free to give me a call 07771767874
Old 13 July 2005, 08:27 PM
nicos
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rally colin
If you need any advise feel free to give me a call
Thanks for all the advise guys!!! have tried all the things i can but still no joy!
I got a quote today for a clutch from nippon automotive for £150 and my local garage will fit it for £200,sound about right?
And thanks again for your help!
Old 13 July 2005, 10:14 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nicos
Thanks for all the advise guys!!! have tried all the things i can but still no joy!
I got a quote today for a clutch from nippon automotive for £150 and my local garage will fit it for £200,sound about right?
And thanks again for your help!
Yeh don't sound too far out m8

Im having mine done atm

Bought a slightly uprated clutch from nippon, 230mm diameter organic clutch for £180 and it's costing me £150 to have it fitted, but be warned, you may need to replace the flywheel aswell

Mine had alot of heat fractures in it
Old 13 July 2005, 10:55 PM
nicos
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by cossie01
Yeh don't sound too far out m8

Im having mine done atm

Bought a slightly uprated clutch from nippon, 230mm diameter organic clutch for £180 and it's costing me £150 to have it fitted, but be warned, you may need to replace the flywheel aswell

Mine had alot of heat fractures in it
Great!!! oh well the joys of owning a scooby i suppose!!
Just as a matter of interest,can you still drive the car?(i can drive mine and change gear without clutch) just i had one go in my old golf and you couldnt drive it at all.
Thanks

Last edited by nicos; 13 July 2005 at 11:25 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2005, 11:30 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nicos
Great!!! oh well the joys of owning a scooby i suppose!!
Just as a matter of interest,can you still drive the car?(i can drive mine and change gear without clutch) just i had one go in my old golf and you couldnt drive it at all.
Thanks
With mine i could still drive it, was 100% fine in 1st, but slipped a little in 2nd and 3rd but was really bad in 4th and 5th

But clutches do different things when there on the way out.

I would have thought you would still beable to change gear using the clutch tho, if the car allows you to change without using it.
Old 14 July 2005, 02:01 PM
nicos
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by cossie01
With mine i could still drive it, was 100% fine in 1st, but slipped a little in 2nd and 3rd but was really bad in 4th and 5th

But clutches do different things when there on the way out.

I would have thought you would still beable to change gear using the clutch tho, if the car allows you to change without using it.
No chance of changing gear using clutch as it is resting on the floor! The little plate that the slave cylinder pushes against when you push the clutch down, i can move forward and back with my fingers! there in no resistance at all!
at the end of the day if the gearbox has to come out anyway i might aswell put a clutch in it as there is no record of one being fitted on it before and its just done 100k.