Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

oil pumps

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2005, 07:57 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil pumps

does anyone know if its a common problem that the oil pump chucks it around 100K on turbo models? or is that just a myth?
Old 23 June 2005, 08:01 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

http://www.performancesubaru.co.uk/p...?id=162&cat=56 take a look at that mate tho roger clark do em cheaper than that i think as regard to mileage believe it depends on how often the oils been changed.
Old 23 June 2005, 08:09 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

basically on the std pump theres a recess or groove if ya like on the pressure relief piston where crap builds up and eventually causes the piston to stick,the modified one doesnt have this recess.
Old 23 June 2005, 08:12 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukdave
basically on the std pump theres a recess or groove if ya like on the pressure relief piston where crap builds up and eventually causes the piston to stick,the modified one doesnt have this recess.
yeah i just wonderd realy. i know my one was changed to a graham goode by the previous owner after the original chucked it.
Old 23 June 2005, 08:19 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

wouldnt worry about it too much then mate tho olly at roger clark told me theres less chance of it sticking with the modified one its not 100%,obviously if engines full of crap its gonna stick (change my oil about every 3500 mile) expensive yes but not like a rebuild is it.
Old 23 June 2005, 09:28 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukdave
Not according to David at API Engines (please back me up David )

Correct, there is this flaw in the standard pump pressure relief valve. But more importantly, and more of a cause of engine failure/pressure loss is a simple thing like the screws backing out of the impeller housing.

I've seen the evidence of this to back up this claim.
Old 23 June 2005, 11:12 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

havent heard of that, but willing to be corrected,tho thought the main prob was the relief valve.
Old 24 June 2005, 12:39 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by highlander68k
Not according to David at API Engines (please back me up David )

Correct, there is this flaw in the standard pump pressure relief valve. But more importantly, and more of a cause of engine failure/pressure loss is a simple thing like the screws backing out of the impeller housing.

I've seen the evidence of this to back up this claim.
In our experience [ over 650 Subaru Turbo rebuilds up to now ] the oil pump is much maligned sometimes unnecessarily so.

The screws do come loose on the rear plate of the pump, but it's rare that all of them do. However, loose is loose and oil pressure will leech away through the [marginally ] loose back plate. Path of least resistance etc.

We rebuild most pumps rather than replace and don't have any problems with them. We've only ever bought 5 new ones where the pump was unusable.

When we rebuild oil pumps we completely linish all the moving parts and we have not experienced any sort of pump related failure EVER omn our equipment. We also loctiti the rear plate screws and that problem also remains fixed.

Engines failures are rarely for pump problems [ in our experience ] it's more usually fuel / air / MAF problems that do it

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 24 June 2005, 07:29 PM
ASTiMAN
Scooby Regular

The spindle jammed in my Roger Clarke Motorsports uprated oil pump which caused failure of no4 big end. Apparently this is quite common, but they will not accept any responsibility!

I would suggest staying away from these!
Old 27 June 2005, 09:50 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ASTiMAN
The spindle jammed in my Roger Clarke Motorsports uprated oil pump which caused failure of no4 big end. Apparently this is quite common, but they will not accept any responsibility!

What spindle?? There isn't a spindle in a Subaru oil pump. The gears are driven by the crank.

Roger Clark Motorsport are a class act, there equipment is of the highest quality I'd be surprised if it was anything they were responsible for.

IF - I had to buy a high pressure pump, it's theirs I'd use.

David APi
www.apiengines.com
Old 27 June 2005, 10:12 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ASTiMAN

These are 'OEM pumps' with a slight modification that isn't made to any rotating part and they retain the OEM spindle

Last edited by highlander68k; 27 June 2005 at 10:19 AM.