Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Noisy Reverse & Difficulty Engaging Gears

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2005, 05:23 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noisy Reverse & Difficulty Engaging Gears

I got a new clutch & 2/h gearbox fitted to my car today . I was told when I bought the box that it had a slight noise in reverse . That 'slight noise' sounds more like a bag of spanners . It sounds like there's a tooth damaged or missing on one of the reverse gears as the noise comes & goes as the gear turns . The rest of the gears are fine .

The other gearbox was removed because of 5th gear needing replaced . The rest of the gears are a bit worn but otherwise ok ie no synchro probs . How easy would it be to swop over the reverse cogs from my old box into the new one ? How far down the shaft is the reverse gear ie how much dismantling will I have to do ?

I could change the 5th gears from the new box to the old one & refit that but the new box feels so much better than the old one in all gears ( except reverse ) .

Can anyone tell me where I can get an online gearbox exploded drawing & parts list ? The car is a 93 Legacy Turbo & the new gearbox is from an Impreza .

My other problem is that it's very difficult to get the car into gear when stationary . It feels like the clutch is not fully disengaging . I suspect that the clutch plate is dragging . Once the car is moving it's ok . I tried adjusting the clutch freeplay at the pedal but it's no better .

Cheers ,
Derek