Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What Power from back box ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2005, 02:04 PM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Power from back box ?

Does putting on an exhaust back box only increase the power sufficiently to require paying a premium on my insurance. At direct line, mods are banded in 0 to 10% and 10 to 20%. Would it be risky to say no increase in power ?

Graham
Old 13 June 2005, 02:08 PM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

You should have a back box regardless, just for the sheer aural delight of the flat four engine.
Old 13 June 2005, 02:36 PM
Spruxxx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Grahamwrx
Does putting on an exhaust back box only increase the power sufficiently to require paying a premium on my insurance. At direct line, mods are banded in 0 to 10% and 10 to 20%. Would it be risky to say no increase in power ?

Graham
Hey graham,

is it a Subaru item you're thinking about? I'm just about to add a STi rear silencer to my wrx, and so asked my dealership to clarify. according to the parts manager, in this situation, you don't have to tell them anything - the power increase is negligible - as my93wrx says, it's all about the noise and the look of the bigger pipe at the back!
Old 13 June 2005, 02:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A different backbox can make the car more desirable, thus you normally get an increase in premiums, though power increases will be virtually zero, plus anything that modifies the car from factory standard, be it accessory or not has to be declared on your insurance.

Tony
Old 13 June 2005, 03:39 PM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments,

I take your point about notifying them that the car will be non-standard, but the important thing regarding insurance premium seems to be the power increase. You say this would be negligable but it would still be an increase.

As for the STI box, this would still be non-standard for a WRX and again insurance should be notified and i'm not sure if it would be any louder than the standard WRX. I intend to get a Prodrive or similar for a moderate increase in sound, but i still feel nervous about not mentioning any power increase.

Thanks

Graham
Old 13 June 2005, 04:32 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

We did some testing a few weeks back for magnex and found thier new 5" free flow tailpipe gave an extra 10bhp not bad for just a back box!

Ads
Old 13 June 2005, 04:37 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I changed my WRX b/b for an STI unit, the noise difference was very very slight, but it looked 10 times better than the silly pea shooters.

Have since changed to H/S item which is vey nice, so have a STI box going if ya want it.

Cookie