Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How Hard Can It Be - Up-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2005, 09:10 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hard Can It Be - Up-Pipe

Hi people, sorry if this is in the wrong section but need quick response for it.

Anyone fitted a up pipe to 02 WRX or similar, how hard is it ( i do have access to full ramp and good tools) How long did it take?

Your thoughts please ......

Cookie
Old 02 June 2005, 09:41 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

No its not that hard. I would allow yourself a good 6 hours for you first attempt. I can do it in about 2 now. You have to remove the IC, down pipe, undertray, lower heat shield and o2 sensor, offside headers, then remove the offside engine to subframe mount and jack the engine up by about 2". Too be honest the worst part of the job is removing the downpipe heat shield and downpipe to turbo bolts. If you have already done the down pipe, then the up pipe is a piece of ****. Alot of people will tell you that you don't need to replace the up (turbo and header) or down pipe (turbo) gaskets, all i can say is, for the sake of £30, do it, i had to strip all mine down again to replace the gaskets as all 3 of them were blowing. Give AP Performance a call, they will send you what you need.

I can highly recommend the up pipe supplied by www.Flat4online.co.uk, nicely made at price that can't be beaten. Makesure you get a fine thread 12mm bolt to block off the egt sensor hole as you don't want to use the egt as it will break off and could go into the turbo.
Old 02 June 2005, 10:07 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, sounds a bit more involved that i first thought, but hey i will give it a go. Yeah i was going to change the gaskets as a matter of course. Thanks again for all your help mate.

Cookie
Old 03 June 2005, 12:36 AM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Cookie

Thats a perfect explanation from austen, i would add that if you are running a full de-cat then you should think about an egt gauge for in car. Your egt in the up-pipe wont show on the CEL if it runs too hot (because its not there anymore)so visual aid is required for monitoring.

Personally i would recommend a flex-head up-pipe. The seating of up and both down pipes has been a real pain in the **** for me and i've always encountered leakage and seating of stud / bolt problems. The up-pipe one being a particular PITA because of all the work in getting back to it again. The flex-head gives a perfect seal first time and much easier to fit, i went for the APS one and it was so easy to fit.

Okay you pay a bit more but what the hell, its a good piece of kit
Old 03 June 2005, 07:24 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

The up pipe supplied by flat 4 is a flexi pipe!! Build quality is excellent, and i have ahd no problems with it leaking!!
Old 05 June 2005, 08:47 PM
scooby191
Scooby Regular

my mate done one other day on his o2 wrx he has his own garage with good tools and ramps 4 hrs right f---k on he rekons