Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sports cats ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 05:06 PM
boost junky 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sports cats ?

Hello all, thinking about getting a sports cat fitted to my 97 uk scoob. Anyone have one fitted or had any experience with any type of hi-flow cat ? If so what sort of improvments in power/torque and general drivability have you found ? Oh and one more thing, how much hard earned for a good one ? Thanks in advance !
Old 02 June 2005, 11:40 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Don't have experience of them myself I'm afraid but perhaps consider having a chat with Ian at Hayward & Scott. Maybe you could treat yourself to some other goodies at the same time.

http://www.haywardandscott.com/subaru

Jonts.
Old 02 June 2005, 11:46 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have one if you want to buy it.

it has never been used, well possibly 5 miles before I switched it over to a straight through.

it came with my full BPM system.

It has a 3 inch diameter and normally costs about £350.

and with regard to your question, apparently they work very well indeed. I wouldn't know as, as I said, I didn't use it.

Still in brand new condition as using it with my car now would destroy it as it runs very rich!
Old 02 June 2005, 05:24 PM
boost junky 1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for your help guys i appreciate it. I will have a mooch on that site jonty, and end up buying all sorts !
Old 02 June 2005, 08:01 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

If you're running no more than 300bhp, the better sports cat systems give very comparable gains to a de-cat,. If you're running the sort of power some people run (e.g. Adam), they will be restrictive.

Note that a sports cat with lots of popping and banging from exhaust can = MOT fail. The popping and banging is due to unburnt fuel. The cat will slowly fail to clean up your emmissions as a result.
Old 03 June 2005, 05:57 PM
boost junky 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
If you're running no more than 300bhp, the better sports cat systems give very comparable gains to a de-cat,. If you're running the sort of power some people run (e.g. Adam), they will be restrictive.

Note that a sports cat with lots of popping and banging from exhaust can = MOT fail. The popping and banging is due to unburnt fuel. The cat will slowly fail to clean up your emmissions as a result.
Cheera hades, so below 300bhp a sports cat would be fine. My car is standard apart from an apexi n1 exhaust all 1 piece from the down pipe (cat) and it pops and bangs all the time, what causes it ? Its just past its mot aswell so cat is working fine. Im unsure of wheather to go for a sports cat or just get a decat downpipe now. Any advice on if the s,cat is the way to go, or will i get better gains with the decat. Dam im confused, sorry for all the questions ! Oh yer and do i need some form of boost controller, and will i get some flames with a decat ?
Old 03 June 2005, 08:33 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Popping and banging is normally unburnt fuel igniting on manifold, turbo or wherever.

My (02WRX) with sports cat exhaust, tek map etc got 284bhp/272lbft at PE's rollers, which is right up there with what anyone else gets with a decat and tek map, so I don't believe you'll noticably lose power if you're keeping your standard turbo

However, after 3 years of popping and banging, my car with sports cat failed the MOT due to CO emmissions being double the limit on fast idle (hence an evening spent putting full OEM exhaust to back on ). I suspect the popping and banging could be indicative of unburnt fuel reaching the cat, which does kill them quicker. However, that's my theory that a few others have agreed seems likely, rather than any definitive proof

You might get some flames with a decat. You don't need a boost controller on a 97UK car, but a remap/better ECU or whatever would enable you to further improve performance
Old 04 June 2005, 12:31 PM
boost junky 1
Scooby Regular

Nice one hades, thats got me brain a thinkin now m8
Old 04 June 2005, 12:52 PM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

You may find this of use
http://www.webcon.co.uk/newitems/Cat...UKPricedV1.pdf
Old 04 June 2005, 04:04 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Surely if it pops and bangs, should the mapping not be tweaked to stop this?
I had my car mapped with a Scorpion exhaust and never noticed any pops at all until i recently got a Ninja. Now i do notice the pops and sometimes, say i am going downhill off the gas pedal, there are plenty of them too, LOL.
Surely the mapping can be tweaked to suit? Or not?
Old 05 June 2005, 07:38 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Mine is from here:
http://www.millteksport.com/

Follow some of those links and you'll see the Impreza-related stuff. there is also some background information about the hi-flow cats.

I'd suggest that pops and bangs shouldn't really occur if mapped correctly, at least not regularly !