HELP: ABS Light with auto to manual trans conversion

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2005, 03:10 AM
wearne
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: ABS Light with auto to manual trans conversion

Hi all

I just recently had my MY98 WRX (Australian) auto converted into a manual. I believe this issue will arise even with the current models.

Everything went well, all except the ABS light comes on permanently. And on diagnostics, the error is picking up the transmission as an auto still, ie the ABS is connected to an auto transmission.

So, anyone who has done such a conversion pls shed some light on this for me?

I want to get the ABS sorted ASAP, as currently the ABS is disabled and any accidents will void the insurance

cheers

Joe

p.s. i'm sorry if this has been covered. I've just recently joined this forum and in desperate need of some help with this.
Old 24 April 2005, 03:04 PM
wearne
Scooby Newbie

anyone pls
Old 25 April 2005, 10:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cannot think why the ABs would need to know the gearbox type?

BTTT for more help
Old 26 April 2005, 01:03 PM
wearne
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
cannot think why the ABs would need to know the gearbox type?

BTTT for more help
No idea why

But diagnostics is picking up the error as ABS reading from an auto transmission
Old 29 April 2005, 09:35 PM
perky555
Scooby Regular

I would assume the abs is connected to the autobox to tell it to step down a gear or two, due to heavy breaking.
Is this the only problem you encountered doing this conversion? As im looking at doing the same to a UK turbo.
Old 29 April 2005, 10:38 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

This might not be the same problem that you are experiencing, but I recently fitted a JDM 6 speed box to a UK car, and had an ABS light problem...

Basically I wanted to check the box worked correctly after fitting it, before I changed the rear diff to a 3.9:1, so i ran the car up with all 4 wheels off the ground.
The ABS light came on over approx. 11 mph, so at first I thought it was a wheel sensor problem - i cleaned all the sensors but it made no difference.

As soon as i put the correct rear diff in (so all the wheels were rotating at the same speed ) the problem was 'cured' and the ABS light hasn't been on since!

Are you sure that your new manual box has the same front diff and drop gears that were in the auto box?

Richard
Old 30 April 2005, 04:54 PM
wearne
Scooby Newbie

First, this is the only problem we've had with the auto to manual conversion

and with regards to the diff, yes, i had to change the rear diff from 4.11 to 4.44 with the RA manual box.

It wont be related to the diff, the reason is the error diagnostics is picking it up as a transmission issue, ie the car is still telling me its an auto trans.

I'll be grabbing a spare ABS module next week to do a swap out and see if this will fix the problem

I have seen a few guys here in OZ done the 5 speed to 6 speed conversion with no issue. The normal spec WRX 5 speed has the same rear diff ratio has the 6 speed, ie 3.9
Old 10 June 2005, 11:31 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Sorry to bring this one back up but i'm having a similar ABS problem with my car.

When i was stripping it last week i spun the car around on the driveway with 16" wheels on one side and 18" wheels on the other. Now, the light has been on almost permanenetly since then. Is it possible i could have confused the ECU turning the car around with wheels of a slightly different rolling diameter? Would removing the battery leads for 1/2hr possibly reset/cure the ABS ECU? Really clutching at straws here...

As an aside Wearne, do you have a guide for reading the error codes from the ABS ECU?