Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2005, 10:25 PM
Nathan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking engine problem

hi im new on here and new to the scoob >> i have a problem need some advice if poss my scoob has started running rough chugging missing >> i have reset ecu made it better for a few mins now its worse than ever when u rev the engine you can hear a cracking noise in airbox like pressure trying to get out and catalitic convertor has started to smoke and stink!! could this have collapsed and caused engine not to breath right so pressures coming up through air filter i am completly stumped any help much appreciated
Old 09 April 2005, 10:31 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

What model/year?

Can you explain the cracking noise in more detail, do you mean like the actual airbox plastic cracking due to pressure?

Rob
Old 09 April 2005, 10:33 PM
Nathan
Scooby Newbie

hello mate im afraid its a sport im only young its a my97 2.0 sport standard at the mo please can u help??
Old 09 April 2005, 10:35 PM
Nathan
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Nathan
hello mate im afraid its a sport im only young its a my97 2.0 sport standard at the mo please can u help??
the cracking noise is like pressuere trying to come up into air box only when u rev it hard
Old 09 April 2005, 11:02 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with a sport mate!!!!

From the way you are describing it, it sounds like the timing is out and it firing with an inlet valve open..

Remove the airbox (but leave the MAF in place) and see if you can acually hear pops coming back out

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE AIRBOX OFF AND MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NOTHING AROUND THAT MAY BE SUCKED IN

Just to make sure no damage may be caused with airbox off...

Let us know how you get on with that...

Rob
Old 09 April 2005, 11:29 PM
scoobynath
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

thanks rob>> can the timing move in a day all i done today was change cv boots tried to do crank seal but couldnt hold pully tried breaker bar and gave it sharp tap with lump hammer but no joy could this have altered my timing ??
Old 09 April 2005, 11:31 PM
scoobynath
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobynath
thanks rob>> can the timing move in a day all i done today was change cv boots tried to do crank seal but couldnt hold pully tried breaker bar and gave it sharp tap with lump hammer but no joy could this have altered my timing ??
what about the cat smoking is that because the timing s out????

Trending Topics

Old 09 April 2005, 11:34 PM
scoobynath
Scooby Newbie

is this causing cat to smoke and stink????
Old 09 April 2005, 11:43 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Hmmm.... now the beer has settled in...

If eth cat was blocked it would get hot and smell/smoke... this would also build up pressure in the combustion chamber...

More than likely that... could also be a plug break down... missfiring... too much unburnt fuel isnt liked by the cat...

Chance you may have skipped a tooth with the breaker bar...

Rob
Old 09 April 2005, 11:53 PM
scoobynath
Scooby Newbie

rob my mate has a cat as hes now got de cat system on his sport shall i fit tomorrow and try again ?? i have inspected all plugs they seem ok dry> i dont want to wreak engine by the timing being out > i need car asap as im expecting baby any day or minute > have you heard of cats failing before in the way i have described ?? sorry to interupt your drinking fella i reall appreciate your help top bloke !!!
Old 10 April 2005, 12:01 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

No worries mate, yes very good idea IMHO...

when you take it off have a look at the cat and check it still has a honeycomb appearance rather than melted.

also check your timing though mate, take off the cam covers and make sure that when your cam marks are lined up with the markings on the head that the crank pulley is at the 0deg mark.

Rob
Old 10 April 2005, 12:13 AM
scoobynath
Scooby Newbie

thanks rob something to do on a sunday i suppose what scooby have you got then ?? my mate got me into them he s got 2001 jap import sti bob rawl mapped it recently it was running 400 + bhp but cos of bad mapping by other companys where it was running rich for so long it gave up the ghost 1 day after bob mapped it awesome car though ! we are awating his type 25 conversion hes trying for 450-500bhp its costing him £££££ i have baby on way hence no turbo! do u know where i could find a bonnet <turbo> pre face lift and a nice rear spoiler s/h if poss