Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 11:12 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which oil cooler?

As title for a MY00 UK car with a FMIC, 2.5, GT30R, high 400s BHP. Water temps stay fine but when driving hard the oil temps rise quicker than a 2.0 would.

I want something that allows the oil to warm quickly, so with a thermostat, and not something vulnerable to stone damage and me losing all my oil. I have some room where the TMIC used to be, I have a little room at the offside fog light area, but the splash guard is away and the wastegate is there, and the air filter draws from there.

Suggestions/prices/suppliers/fitting/positioning hints welcomed.
Old 07 April 2005, 11:31 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mocal, as big as you can fit, with thermostatic take off plate (I don't have one and find I don't need one).

Biggest concern is keeping aqp hosing clear of headers!
Old 07 April 2005, 04:25 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JB, When you do get it on make sure that it comes off, gets flushed, and then primed together with the pipes when you do an oil change.

Ignore that and expect trouble.

I'd fit it behind the regular spot light cover hole. We've seen them here at API with pipes all over the engine bay when fitted in place of a Top mount I/C.

Or, you can put a remote filter on to gain space around the headers so that the pipework is well away from the headers. This means an adaptor in place of the sandwich block, then piped to a remote filter and thermostat, then piped to the radiator and back again. Probably double the oil capacity of the engine that way. which means more oil to heat up, thus it runs cooler..........

Even more of a PIA come oil change time but maybe a better way to fit.

Mocal make good stuff at sensible money. AND Rob [ the owner ] is really helpful, Or was 20 years ago, when I last needed his advice.

Good Luck; David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 07 April 2005, 05:05 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

I wouldnt go for something overly big as you may find you need it covered most of the time..

Mine is mocal, but I bought it through Mark @ Lateral as he gets decent discounts..

One supplier is cheap for some bits and one for the others iirc.. Ask him

Hoses you have to sort, but you can use the push on stuff if your brave.. I want braided... also consider pipe routes..

I would buy a plate and cooler, mount them and then buy hoses

David
Old 07 April 2005, 05:34 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

One on a well known auction site at the moment.

I think David's got the right idea.
Old 07 April 2005, 06:27 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the smallish cooler.

Paul
Old 07 April 2005, 06:54 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

John,

Have a mocal on my scoob, never had a prob with it and keeps the oil temps in check. Think it was £300 ish fitted. Decent bit of kit.

Dave

Originally Posted by john banks
As title for a MY00 UK car with a FMIC, 2.5, GT30R, high 400s BHP. Water temps stay fine but when driving hard the oil temps rise quicker than a 2.0 would.

I want something that allows the oil to warm quickly, so with a thermostat, and not something vulnerable to stone damage and me losing all my oil. I have some room where the TMIC used to be, I have a little room at the offside fog light area, but the splash guard is away and the wastegate is there, and the air filter draws from there.

Suggestions/prices/suppliers/fitting/positioning hints welcomed.

Trending Topics

Old 08 April 2005, 11:54 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Not so sure on the smallish cooler, if you have a thermostat it should account for the performance of the cooler.

From what I hear 2.5s tend to run slightly hotter, I know mine does. So I would rather have the cooling capacity plus it increases the volume of the oil system.

David api.

If you have a remote filter regardless of what you do, you have to run pipes past the headers, so it won't help you.
Old 08 April 2005, 12:57 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam M
Not so sure on the smallish cooler, if you have a thermostat it should account for the performance of the cooler.

From what I hear 2.5s tend to run slightly hotter, I know mine does. So I would rather have the cooling capacity plus it increases the volume of the oil system.

David api.

If you have a remote filter regardless of what you do, you have to run pipes past the headers, so it won't help you.
Yeah, Yeah, my point was that by losing the filter off the bottom of the sandwich block there is more room by the headers to run the pipes where you want and the filter is further away from the heat source.

David AOi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 08 April 2005, 03:54 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam,

After monitoring my water and oil temps for quite a while, and looking at the oil coolers that others have fitted, i have changed my mind WRT the cooler size. I am going to retain the OE water cooler for it's temperature regulation, and add a smallish cooler, maybe 120mm square with some good airflow. I was originally going to go with the thermostatic plate and larger cooler, ditching the OE water/oil unit.

I can but try.

Paul
Old 08 April 2005, 05:38 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

go for it paul, interested in outcome.

fyi I have a 190mm (I think) 13 row cooler with no thermostat running all the time. I also retained the modine for the same reason as you.

Oil temps have been fine by I struggle to keep track of them on the laptop as it is hard to read on the fly and I have no gauges.

APIDavid, relocating the filter gives you bugger all more space and doesn't really help at all when trying to keep the oil pipework away from the headers.

frankly there isn't much you can do to avoid crossing past them, except thermal jacketing and heat reflective silver tape (which is coming off my car!).