Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Loudest Meanest set up for exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2005, 01:38 AM
Project 2501
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Loudest Meanest set up for exhaust note

Firstly just to say hi as im new to the site!
ive signed up to get as much knowledge as i can about the WRX as im after buying one to replace my current car (MR2) so im hoping to be able to get some questions answered and learn from other peoples posts etc before parting with my cash!

i have a quick question right now which is basically what is the best induction kit/exhaust setup you could take to produce a very mean very aggresive sound? i know scoobys are known for producing that nice burbling sound due to the boxer engine. theres someone in my area with a scooby, i think its a kitted WRX...not intirely sure, has NEMISIS across the front window. (i live in windsor/berkshire) and ive been behind it a few times and it has the most amazing sound ive ever heard! its obviously de-catted, has a big single exit jap exhaust altho not sure which, and its poping and cracking and burbling all the way down the road, very loud! pops flames while just cruising in 3rd and this is what i want, i want this same level of sound along with the poping/flaming. if i bought a WRX what modifications would i have to do to achieve this? any help is much appreciated as this will be the first thing i do if it has not been done already!

Karl
Old 06 April 2005, 03:16 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Subaru Imprezas dont benefit from 'induction kits'; they will produce well over 300BHP with the standard airbox and 'induction kits' and aftermarket filters do more harm than good.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:02 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Induction kits on Impreza's a big no no!

Stay well clear of them, and get yourself maybe a panel filter and a full decat including downpipe, midesction and a big jap style backbox for that sound your looking for.

Also do a search on here about MAF sensors and youll see why induction kits are bad on a impreza.
Old 06 April 2005, 09:13 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Subaru Imprezas dont benefit from 'induction kits'
Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Why?

I had a panel filter on my Type R, it blew a MAF, replace with a K&N Based induction kit, and it has been fine! Also, the induction kit allowed boost creep, surely proving that it flowed more air than the panel filter (thus allowing some imporovement in performance)

Also, check the big power boys, all of them run induction kits - I am sure they wouldn't if they didn't have to! There is a point when the standard airbox becomes restrictive to power (IIRC ~350BHP) so saying induction kits and Imprezas don't mix and there is no benefit is not strictly true!

If you must fit an induction kit, try to use a K&N type, and make sure it is fitted VERY securely.

Also, the MAF only went weak on phase 2 cars (MY99 up), anything older, and you could probably fit what you wanted and not have to worry about the MAF!
Old 06 April 2005, 09:28 AM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

blitz , seriously are loud cracklin and pop flame if there fully de catted , back box and centre section , dunno what downpipe though , mine cracks pop`s and is seriously loud , thats whay i add the silencer bung in it , because after a bit it will **** u off at times ,

induction kits im not entirely up on as i dont use one , as im not on the ober 300bhp mark ,
but i hear blitz for induction kits work a treat as they have some sort of heat shield that dont let the warm air from the engine into the cone , and only let the cool air from the outside in ,
Old 06 April 2005, 09:39 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwishOvBolton
but i hear blitz for induction kits work a treat as they have some sort of heat shield that dont let the warm air from the engine into the cone , and only let the cool air from the outside in ,
Not so sure on this one, but do not get the the stainless steel mesh filter they do, you would be better puting a tea strainer on (HKS filters are almost as bad too!)
Old 06 April 2005, 09:41 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the hks induction kit and the blitz nur spec exhaust, these togeather release an awesome sound.

as for dont do that ooooohhh **** and bull, had an induction kit on mine since i have had it, just change your maf sensor every year, its only £70! if i didnt have the induction kit id still change the maf yearly its well worth it because its so cheap, and it creates havoc if it goes wrong!

welcome to the site

jamo

Trending Topics

Old 06 April 2005, 10:45 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run K&N Induction, TSL downpipe and HKS Hiper Exhuast and that was about as much as I could take but if you want really loud:

K&N Induction kit, HKS Downpipe, BPM Twister Exhaust and one industrial strength set of ear plugs!

K&N is about as safe as you can get with an induction kit. It's a lightly oiled cotton filter, if filters are too heavily oiled then oil will get through, coating and blowing the maf. IMHO sponge filters don't have the same filtration as cotton and so crap can get through, again blowing the maf.
Old 06 April 2005, 10:58 AM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Smile Prob one of the loudest set-ups around

Don't think there are many cars around as loud as mine...so i've been told

I've got the Scoobymania downpipe (twin dump) & centre section which is 3" (Best quality exhaust around IMHO) and a custom built Hayward & Scott Afterburner angle exit backbox to marry with it exiting out of 4.5"

Even on tickover it's bl**dy loud but on full throttle you could mistake it for a low flying Spitfire

The neighbours love me

MAFFA
Old 06 April 2005, 11:13 AM
mudfrog
Scooby Regular

I too have heard bad things about induction kits on some scoobs.

Opted not to get one for mine cause if it did blow the maf it costs a lot to replace. I've got an my96 and recently had the maf replaced and that meant the whole unit i.e. sensor and the housing. Cost £280 just for the part.
If I remember correctly the newer model impreza maf is cheaper to replace cause you only have to buy the sensor and not the housing which brings down the cost a hell of a lot. I think because alot of people complained when they needed replacing they made that change.
The Blitz Nur Spec zorst is the best for that sound your after I believe.
Would love to get one myself.

Cheers,

Rich
Old 06 April 2005, 11:17 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Could always remove the resonator to the airbox from underneath the front bumper..should give you more induction noise, plus you could duct up your own cold air feed. Cheap cheerful and safe.
Old 06 April 2005, 11:25 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

My blitz Nur Spec R (with OBX EL headers)
http://www.compass-systems.co.uk/sco...Recording1.wav
Old 06 April 2005, 08:01 PM
Project 2501
Scooby Newbie

Thanks to everyone who posted an answer!! cheers for that appreciate it

so it seems the Blitz Nur spec is the favourite after market exhaust then...has anyone got ne pictures of this? as i can match it up to the one ive been hearing around my area and be able to tell if that too is a nur spec. the nur spec is one of the best loved exhaust for the MR2 tubby actually, hopefully sounds meaner on a WRX tho!!

where is the best place to shop for parts like this? manifolds, downpipes, and systems? (also decats) and is it really worth uprating the manifold?

Karl
Old 06 April 2005, 08:47 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

Talking

i have the h&s backbox and full decat with group n gas flowed dpwnpipe and it sounds awsome, still with standard air box.
Old 06 April 2005, 10:39 PM
Jefrey
Scooby Regular

I think the 'Agressive' noise & that deep sound of thunder has to be the:

HKS Hyper Muffler, the daddy in my personal opinion, sits at an angle & does all the pops & bangs,

Or for a mid tone, but heavy sound when on boost i'd go for the Hayward & scott system.

You really have to remove the cats inorder to get a deep tone,

Jef
Old 06 April 2005, 10:58 PM
andy crofts
Scooby Newbie

IVE GOT A WRS STAINLESS BACKBOX FROM THE MAIN SUBARU DEALER IT SOUNDS WELL MEATY HOW DO I KNOW THIS ( THE WIFE DRIVES IT MORE THAN ME )
Old 07 April 2005, 04:54 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

OH RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive got gt headers with up-pipe,H+S 3" downpipe , tsl RESONATED centre and tsl firestorm back box . . oh,and K+N 57i

sounds just right for me , , after trying out loads including the blitz and the H+S back box i found the firestorm best..

blitz was very loud but the H+S 4.5 inch tailpipeD back box with afterburner was actually louder IMHO but was raspy,probably due to the headers but now i got mid to loud sound but it sounds perfect,,,no rasp,just that good ole rumble

Last edited by scoobyDAZZA; 07 April 2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 13 April 2006, 11:49 AM
subarustel
Scooby Regular

Location: m25 and surroundin areas......need 500+horses again!!!

i have a custom 3" from the turbo back with no silencers and only 1 box, the back box. angled out 4 more flow and it sounds mean as ***. also have a blitz drop-in panel replacement.

us guys should have a meet 2 c which exhaust hits the most db at 4k rpm. i got banned from bedford autodrome due 2 exhaust loud as f
Old 13 April 2006, 03:04 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

ive got a tsl grp a decat downpipe, scooby clinic unresonated centre and a scoobyclinic jap cut/style 4.5 inch back box. Been told that it is loud, but a "nice loud" Next door neighbour says it growls on tickover.
Old 13 April 2006, 03:32 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Hmmm - I think anyone with a BPM twister II would win!
Old 13 April 2006, 07:14 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

i think any scooby with a aftermarket system on is great

i need to find out what system is on mine really, back in a min as i am just going outside to have a look. may someone on here can tell me
Old 13 April 2006, 07:21 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

ok it has a tag plate and apon it it says SR JASMA
MADE IN JAPAN
16 F001 2K903

anyone know ???
Old 13 April 2006, 07:46 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1

Stay well clear of them, and get yourself maybe a panel filter and a full decat including downpipe, midesction and a big jap style backbox for that sound your looking for.

Also do a search on here about MAF sensors and youll see why induction kits are bad on a impreza.
I can vouch for that. Wish i'd of heard about it, or read it on here first. Cost me close to £4000 on my classic for a new engine.
Old 13 April 2006, 07:47 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow

Also, the MAF only went weak on phase 2 cars (MY99 up), anything older, and you could probably fit what you wanted and not have to worry about the MAF!
MY96 went bang, so i wouldn't rely on post 99 only.
Old 13 April 2006, 07:50 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

JASMA is not a make but a Japanese agency to monitor that exhaust emissions (both noise and pollution) are kept within the guide lines.
Old 13 April 2006, 07:52 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Project 2501
Thanks to everyone who posted an answer!! cheers for that appreciate it

so it seems the Blitz Nur spec is the favourite after market exhaust then...has anyone got ne pictures of this? as i can match it up to the one ive been hearing around my area and be able to tell if that too is a nur spec. the nur spec is one of the best loved exhaust for the MR2 tubby actually, hopefully sounds meaner on a WRX tho!!

where is the best place to shop for parts like this? manifolds, downpipes, and systems? (also decats) and is it really worth uprating the manifold?

Karl
Most exhausts release the burble and sound good, but i believe the TSL Firestorm & Blitz Nur Spec R are the loudest.

Hear a lot of them here:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1
Old 14 April 2006, 02:09 PM
powercrazed
Scooby Regular

I have a 94wrx fitted with HKS headers, RCMS up-pipe, RCMS 3" downpipe and a HKS Hiper Muffler Ti-Tip centre and backbox. Not the cheapest set-up but I like it.
It has lost some of the flat four rumble at low revs but gets blody loud and sound almost like a bike at higher revs!!

Nathan
Old 14 April 2006, 04:01 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I've had both BPM and Blitz. The Blitz is loud but is quite a soft rounded sound. The BPM Twister 3 is loud with a sharp gutteral sound (think nascar v8).
Old 14 April 2006, 04:34 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

I have a very similar set up to powercrazed, HKS headers, RCMS up pipe, HKS down pipe, and a HKS hiper muffler and must admit that I'm very pleased with it, in terms of performance (which to me is the main consideration)it seems to work very well, The quality is very good the cat back exhaust has been on the car for over 6yrs and is mainly made from mild steel with a SS back box, the down pipe has been on there for at least 4 1/2yrs and the headers over 2 yrs all without a single problem.

It's not the loudest exhaust but that suites me just fine, I'm not a lover of the Blitz etc as i find mine on a long journey without the bung can be tiresome.

Small vid of the car on the rollers to give you some idea what it sounds like.
http://media.putfile.com/RoRu-383bhp-Dyno-run